Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a conn Continental Colonial, and I love the way this sax plays, I know it's not worth much in the grand scheme of things, but I absolutely love this old sax. It plays so much better than it should for what it is, but one problem....original pads! Some don't seal well, and the horn is greasy as hell!
Any ideas on what it would cost for a chemical bath and a a complete repad?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,594 Posts
$800-1000 in the SF Bay Area.....$500-600 in Portland, OR.

BTW...those are Pan American stencils...which are the same things as early USA-made 16M Directors. Which, FYI...happen to all be of the exact same body design/spec as the 10M's, minus the RTH's.

Thus, it is quite understandable why you would love that horn !!!! It certainly sounds like it deserves a bit of tech-love.

I say go for it....if she leaks now, you will be blown away by how she will sound and perform when she is all repadded and re-regulated....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got some quotes today from the local techs, seems like around 625-675 for a full repad (roo pads and metal resonators) dent removal, cleaning, and adjustment .
And Are they really the same body as the 10m???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,594 Posts
Yes, they really are. Took calipers to several myself. We had a discussion on this in the Conn section a few months ago.

Well....that is a bit higher than I would have thought it would be for the Midwest....and, one may argue that the work would be approaching the market value of the horn itself.

But...they are good horns, and again ~ a nice overhaul-type servicing WILL actually make it sing far better than it sounds like it currently does. So I would go for it, personally.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got some quotes today from the local techs, seems like around 625-675 for a full repad (roo pads and metal resonators) dent removal, cleaning, and adjustment .
And Are they really the same body as the 10m???
$425 + pads with me at JFM Woodwind Repair. As long as dent/dings are minor there would be no extra charge. Roo pads will run about $50 from Prestini. Here's a martin tenor I just finished up not long ago. Love to fix yours up for you! PM if your interested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to take it to a local tech I trust (also becasue shipping a horn makes me nervous) going with Roo Pads and flat metal resos. Price ended up being at 500

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody know any resource for continental colonial serial numbers? I've search the web the last two days to no avail. How about the approximate productions dates for alto's? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.