Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the Conn Connstellation hard Rubber mouthpieces?
I picked one up recently in a mixed box of mouthpieces.
All I can read on the mouthpiece is Conn Connstellation 5.
Looks to be a large chamber piece.
Has vertical denim pattern facing.
Sweet hard rubber smell to it.
Looks to be a good quality piece.
Any information much appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Probably made for/sold with the 28M Connstellation alto of 1948-'54.
It could very well have been designed by Santy Runyon, who co-designed the horn with Conn.

What's a "denim pattern facing"? Is there some engine-turning visible on the rails or table?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,358 Posts
The 28M came with the Comet (Runyon) mouthpiece and I don't recall ever playing a Connstellation in Rubber, only plastic. I assume it is from the 1950s-60s.

·
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely hard rubber. Or at least it had that sweet rubbery smell when being washed. Also has the discolouration often associated with rubber pieces.
By denim pattern I am using the term often used to describe a the pattern left by a stone wheel on the earlier Berg Larsen Metal pieces.
As opposed to an arced facing or markings on the table.

·
21,358 Posts
A photo may help with the vintage of this. It seems like after the eagle, there was the Steel-lay and Comet and Precision. Where the Connstellation fits in would probably be around the Comet time.

·
21,358 Posts
Hard Rubber for sure. The shape of the shank and body are very similar to the Precision from the 1960s so my guess is a 1950s-70s supplied with the 6M(?).

·
1,127 Posts
These pieces seem to be a bit of a mystery.

I would imagine they were intended to be Conn's pro line of mouthpieces since they bear the Connstellation name. Whether they were stock with certain saxes, or just an option...I'm not sure.

But they were made for alto and tenor (maybe bari as well, but I haven't come across one).

They aren't too common, but they aren't worth all that much either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts