Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

While looking for an alto, I've stumbled upon a Conn Connqueror in my local sax shop, serial number 270XXX. Original lacquer is mostly gone.

Seems and plays like a great sax (even if it's leaking everywhere at the moment), but I'm still not sure about the price. Store is asking for 2550 euros without an overhaul. Seeing as the body is bent a little bit, every key that can be loose is a bit loose, there is leakage everywhere, a lot of pads need replacing, and overhaul is essential to make it shine. I'm also seeing signs there was once a keyguard soldered above the Fis key. Don't know if that's normal with a connqueror.

On the plus side: it has definitely been a players instrument, but I'm worried it has seen too much abuse of the years. Or that the price of making her shine again will be too costly for a connqueror (bearing in mind they are rare here in Europe).

On the downside: with a sum of almost 3.000 euros after repairs, I could buy a stunning 6M and still have some money to spare for a good mouthpiece (seeing as it's my first alto).

My gut says buy, but I'm still in doubt. Any advice?

View attachment 195474 View attachment 195482 View attachment 195490 View attachment 195506 View attachment 195514

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
Thallyos,

I have two 6M altos. Like them a lot. Would love to have a 26M and a 28M too.

But a BENT one that looks rough? That is not a great deal. At all.

dat
sax
man

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Bad deal. Don't bother. Buy a stunning silver 6M for the same price and enjoy an amazing alto.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
Overpriced, considering condition. Should be about half that. I own both a 26M and a 6M. The 6M is a perfectly good pro horn.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Buy a plane ticket to Chicago or St. Louis. Go the the local, outstanding Sax shop. Buy a great vintage horn, from a big selection. Go home. Shouldn’t take more than 48 hours and it should cost you less than $3,000 Euros - airfare included. No need for a hotel room because you will be on the airplane most of the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,877 Posts
Absolutely.

I bought one in the Netherlands in nearly perfect state for €3500 overhauled (original case).

Your gut instinct is way off.

No this is too expensive. These are horns that are mainly bought from collectors and the damage disqualifies it for this purpose and would bring the price way down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts