·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
I can open it :mrgreen: but can't buy it, US & Canada only :(

Such is life...

·
Registered
688 Posts
They want US$110 for shipping to Canada...so it's not really available to us northerners either... :(

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry,
It's an interesting concept; Goodwills all over the US put all kinds of things up for auction. They usually know nothing about anything, but I call and email to mine for info.
Is there anything like that in the UK?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
The upside is almost all of their stuff is donated. I sold a girl a sterling flute with a solid gold head for over $4,000 and when she died (at about 28) her parents gave it to Goodwill.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,490 Posts
I can't open the goodwill site too , it seems to have a block of some sort but is not regional because other people from The Netherlands could open another link in another thread. I have no idea why. I am on a Mac and use two browsers and none of the can open these links.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,490 Posts
The upside is almost all of their stuff is donated. I sold a girl a sterling flute with a solid gold head for over $4,000 and when she died (at about 28) her parents gave it to Goodwill.
we have these sort of shops here too but but they are not a network (some are a small network) and they are called Kringloopwinkels in Dutch (recycling shops) . They also get stuff donated and they operate, mostly, as charities although some (few) are private business (which get things donated and sell them!) , some are running with unemployed and disabled people but have paid directing stuff (the money that is collected is going into supporting the organisation and pays part of the directors wages!) , the majority (hopefully) are run by volunteers and hopefully give all profits to some projects. I have been buying for years stuff (never instruments! They sell them privately if they are ever donated) at a local shop and I regularly donate all sorts of things to them, they are very good and support lots of charitable projects around he world.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Similarly, in the UK, we have what are disparagingly referred to as "Charity Shops" - ("Kringloopwinkels" sounds much better ! ), where often charities are given the remains of a lease when shops shut down, and then sell donated items on the High Street - some of the more 'switched on' charities cream off the best items and sell them on ebay for more, why not ?

Often collectors for these charities leave labelled plastic sacks on the doorstep, which we (hopefully) fill, and they are collected a few days later. Sadly, scammers have latched onto the idea, and they then sell for their own profit...

We also have email based recycling, the one in this area is 'waste not want not', seems to work quite well. I've bought a few musical bits from charity shops, never seen any brass/wind instruments though.

Back on thread, I have more saxes than necks...:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts