Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've had a C melody sax for about 20 years now, although I've never played it much to be honest.

When I started learning sax in 5th grade, my aunt, being the awesome aunt she is, gave me a sax because she never used it, and said I could have it and take it to play in the band at school. Well I took it to school and started playing with it and my teacher told me to get it checked/serviced because he was convinced my "alto" was broken. I simply could not get it to play in tune. I only discovered it was a C melody once I took it in for servicing.

I know it's a Conn (that's obvious from the bell), and I'm sure it's old, but other than that I really couldn't say.

If anyone could pitch in and help that would be appreciated. I've attached some photos, and the serial info is very clear.

I've also read that cases/mouthpieces can be a bit of an issue for these horns, so suggestions as to set up would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks all!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
That's a nice looking saxophone. 1920's but you should check a serial number chart for the exact year. I trust it has a neck. It is also the desired LOW PITCH (as opposed to HIGH PITCH, which won't play alongside most other instruments these days).

The best mouthpieces are those made for C-Melody saxophones like yours, but some have been known to get along with alto or tenor mouthpieces, which may create intonation and tonal issues.

There is already a ton of posts on SOTW about C-Melody saxophones. Search for them and read about them. DAVE

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This instrument dates from 1923.

Youll find further discussion, including discussion of mouthpieces and cases, in the current, active thread, HERE.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
It's a New Wonder Series I. The horn has been buffed up a bit prior to the non original, post-manufacture lacquer job. This has blurred the logo engraving a bit as a result. That negatively impacts the collectors value and thus the monetary value, but not the playablity. No fancy floral or pictorial engraving on this one also makes it less collectible. Good for the buyer wanting a nice playing horn, not so much for those seeking to flip it for profit.

Conn didn't offer finishes (such as lacquer) other than bare brass and metal plated options until the very late 1920's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help folks! I wasn't aware of the low pitch/high pitch distinction (Dave Dolson), or the fact that this had been lacquered/relacquered (SAXISMYAXE).

Dave Dolson, yes it has the straight neck.

SAXISMYAXE, luckily I dont intend on selling it. I think I quite like it, so I'll just find a set up that works and get on it!

Mike T, thanks for the link. I'll read up on the set ups.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just bought a silver plate version of this, exactly 241 serial numbers past yours!
I also just ordered a Morgan mpc based on many many threads here, i figured go big or stay home, as everyone seems to say it is the IT mpc.
That said, some say a very cheap $35 mpc on ebay is also great (see other threads).
Mine does have a case, so don't need to look for a newer version just yet, but let me know what you find about cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've seen some HP saxophones (and clarinets) in my time . . . they aren't prevalent but if one doesn't know about that issue and ends up with an HP horn, THEN one will know it. DAVE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a silver plate version of this, exactly 241 serial numbers past yours!
I also just ordered a Morgan mpc based on many many threads here, i figured go big or stay home, as everyone seems to say it is the IT mpc.
That said, some say a very cheap $35 mpc on ebay is also great (see other threads).
Mine does have a case, so don't need to look for a newer version just yet, but let me know what you find about cases.
We’re basically sax neighbors haha. Cool man. I do have a Morgan for my tenor, so I’m definitely aware and am a big fan of them! Maybe I’ll go with a cheap MP for now and save a bit for the Morgan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts