Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Alto: Selmer Paris SA80, Cannonball BB Stone Raven. Tenor: Selmer Paris SA80.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently come across a Conn Transitional alto saxophone that's in fairly good shape. It must have sat in a shed or old garage that leaked water because the case was severely damaged and some of the pivot screws and springs were rusted. The lacquer was also flaking a bit. I disassembled and cleaned it in cold water and mild soap, then scrubbed some of the verdigris on the neck with vinegar and simple green. After I dried the body I noticed the brass in areas where the lacquer was flaked or removed turned a rainbow-ish color. I've restored a lacquered Conn NW II Chu with bare brass areas and didn't experience the color change in the brass. It has a nice patina look.

Any advice on how to polish the brass while maintaining the original lacquer areas? I've searched the forum and have come up empty. Pics attached.

Thanks!

BTW, a shout out to South Florida Horns and Dawkes Music for the set and pivot screws.

Sleeve Red Font Pattern Jewellery

Musical instrument Plant Flowerpot Wood Wind instrument

Musical instrument Plant Brass instrument Wind instrument Music

Saxophone Reed instrument Musical instrument Wood Brass instrument

Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Wind instrument Bicycle part

Restored Chu

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Wind instrument

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Nice horn. I would just leave it as is.
But you can use wenol metal polish if you really want to polish the brass.
It's not that abrasive that you would remove any lacquer if you accidentally polished over some lacquer.
But it's abrasive enough to actually polish the brass and makes it shine.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have often seen this purplish rainbow type patina underneath old lacquer, especially on Conns for some reason.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Nice horn ! It's a transitional, all right. I've been vaguely looking for one of these for some time.

If you try to polish it with some of the lacquer left, you may well give yourself some trouble with areas of degraded lacquer. I'd say you have two choices: either strip the old lacquer and polish the bare brass with Brasso (or similar), or just leave it the way it is now, since you've cleaned all the gunge off. I wouldn't bother with polish myself — I reckon the old patina looks fine.

Good luck with the refurb !

·
Registered
Alto: Selmer Paris SA80, Cannonball BB Stone Raven. Tenor: Selmer Paris SA80.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'll try Bkenes suggestion on a small area. Not concerned with the bare brass and lacquer mix, it's just the odd brass color.

Yeah Mike T I got lucky finding this on a Craigslist posting. Had to drive 150 miles to get it but well worth the trip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts