Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to saxophones but a musician, my mother in-law passed and has the aforementioned sax which is solid with good key movement but deteriorated varnish. It is an Conn Alto connqueror. Serial # starts 2853. Any ideas on how to proceed? Refurbish or have the new owner choose how they want it done? Secondly, what’s a good value range and medium to sell it? Thanks in advance for any assistance

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, if it's a Connqueror it's not a 6M but a 26M and worth quite a bit more than a garden variety 6M.

Best to post some pictures of what you have.

These are professional grade saxophones and while they won't bring as much as the really in-demand makes, they are worth more than the cost of overhaul, which a number of older instruments aren't.

I'm not sure what the advice would be on whether to overhaul it then put for sale or the other way round. I suspect selling it as is would be the best choice but people who buy and sell a lot of instruments can advise you better than I.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of the research I have done the 6M doesn’t match the serial number when I researched. Again, if someone could shed more light on what is here I would appreciate it. Again all the keys seem to have lively quiet action. Just varnish issues but could be more w pads

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
That is a regular 6M, not a Connqueror. Still a fine instrument. Probably needs a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning, all the pads and corks replaced, and there may be some dents to fix as well ( the first picture certainly seems to show a dent, which wouldn't necessarily need to be fixed, but if there's one there it may be that there are some that really need to be fixed). Finish looks OK-ish (the thing's 80 years old) but not as great as some that are out there. At any rate, refinishing would be a bad idea, and would take a whole lot of market value off it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only dent is the one in the first pic by the 6M, otherwise just varnish issues from what I can tell. If additional pic would help let me know. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked this all over for action and the “naked lady” but I don’t see that. Just the inscription of “Elkhart ILL”. The only dent if any is the one by the 6M, small imo.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's a fantastic horn, problem is, overhauls can range anywhere from $200 to a $1000 + depending on how much work needs done. I'm sure you could find a buyer either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I appreciate the responses, the questions in my mind are what’s it worth with surface deterioration and if pads and cork needs replacing. Is this something that can only be determined by either playing it or an in hand visual inspection? I am attempting find the best option of moving this forward by doing research and aggregating feedback. From what I have gathered it approx $65/hr + parts to repair. I dont want to devalue the instrument by attempting to “clean” it myself, but I don’t want to put money into it if it’s not recoverable with some sort of certainty. Since the serial number search put it at the year & model (connqueror) but the stamp clearly shows 6M and contradicts, is there something I am missing in identifying what I have here?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
You certainly have a 6M ( not a 26M conqueror), you would only devalue the saxophone if you were to “ clean it” with aggressive, abrasive, methods but in my opinion (I have bought and sold over 150 saxophones over the years) I would sell this saxophone “ as is” and leave the pleasure to do whatever they want to the new buyer.

In my part of the world you can buy an unrestored 6M from around €750 to €1000. Yours has had a life harder than the better ones on the market. I have seen examples which were nearly new.

If you have it overhauled you can easily spend €1000 ( to have it done to very high standards) but selling it for €2000 plus, will be difficult as a private seller (shops always get a premium).

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,242 Posts
The 26m connqueror and 6m were made simultaneously.
Serial number alone can tell you year of manufacture, but not which model.
They just asisgned the numbers consecutively to whichever sax was next.
Yours is a 6m. It says so. I have two myself.

Agreed that you should leave the finish as is.
It will need pads, corks, etc. and a good cleaning.

Worth more fixed up, but maybe not enough to cover the expense.
Good altos, just not super valuable. They made lots of these!

EBay is one choice. Reverb is another.
The Marketplace here is a third, but you need to be a member for longer in order to access that. GLWS.

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The naked lady is there. She's hiding inside the pentagon shape on the bell. She's also been obscured by the loss of lacquer and the corrosion. I can't say what it's worth but you do have a nice desirable horn there. Count on a $1000 bill to properly get back to playing like new. Better to sell as is I think. Let the new owner decide what kind of pads and resonators etc to put on it. By the way, cleaning doesn't mean just the outside. It needs to be taken apart and all the screws and hinges cleaned and lubed. It's the grit and dirt you can't see that causes wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I posted my question I saw the responses. Thank very much for that insight. It’s difficult and unwise to sell/buy something to which you are unfamiliar. I will look closer for the naked Lady.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Best plan is look at completed sales on E-bay. These horns were in the $1,200-$1,500 range a couple years ago. You also want to have someone assess the lacquer situation. (Varnish). Original lacquer is worth more - difficult to tell from the photos. The etching is what gives re-lacquered horns away. If you’re planning to sell, don’t bother with the repad. The new owner will certainly have a pad preference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. My mother in law played in the late 40’s and has had it since. I doubt they would have had that done. Is the price you mentioned “needs work” condition or playing condition?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I believe that the prices A Greene mentioned were after being refurbished. I paid about $600.00 for the pictured 6m in 2013 and then spent an additional $600.00 to have it overhauled. The general condition of the finish was excellent. Your instrument was made during a more desirable time period but the general condition is not as good. Re-done it would be a great instrument for a player, but not a collector's piece.

View attachment 238876

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you. I finally do found her. She was masked by finish issue. I really do appreciate all the information and advice people have been sharing.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just my two and a half cents here, but since you're not a sax player I would do the research on what the "as is" value is and let the buyer have it overhauled. Most players have their guy and would prefer to have them do the work. OR, since you are a musician, have it overhauled and learn to play it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts