Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Conn 6m tenor, and the guy says the serial number is 816808, when would that have been made? My best guess is late 60's, early 70's. Also, what would this thing be like as far as keywork, intonation, and "features" be like. I know it would't have rolled tone holes or that micro-tuner, but will the octave key still be underslung?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
More late '50's early '60's BTW 6M is ALTO 10M is TENOR you have me a little confused. These are great players and the alto(6M) should certainly have the u/slung o/key.
Keys will be nickel plated--very much in keeping with the times I have a very late 6M u/slung --no Ladyface--and it smokes, great intonation too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what's got me confused, I thought that 6m was an alto as well, but I'm no Conn expert... I'm going to ask the seller for some pictures, if he's confused, I can tell the difference, expert or not!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
Should be 1959 and with the underslung octave key. This should have the wire guards rather than the stamped ones. Should be a decent horn worth about $300-700 depending on pads and finish.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have one last question about the thing, should it have rolled tone holes, and, if not, should I be concerned? Hearing that it's a '59 makes me feel a lot better, I'm looking for an American horn. It'd be replacing my YTS 23, and used with an old E-Rosseau mouthpiece I'm rather fond of. I need a horn with a bit bigger sound than the Yamaha, although I do like the keywork on Yamaha's, a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
No RTH. Conn dropped these in 1947 or 48. There are many, many discussions on here arguing the pro's and con's of rth's-v- straight. I think craftsmanship was perhaps more painstaking in the rth era--more attention to detail. I like the later Conn's as do many on here---you are very fortunate in USA where they can be bought at a very low price compared to UK and Europe

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
Rolled TH are my favorite but no big deal. I buy by condition and how it plays. Shouldn't make a difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
+1 for later Conns. The 6M and 10M saxes that I have played from 1950 - 1968 have been strong, powerful players with fleet action, pitch flexibility for bending (jazz/rock inflection), and fine tone quality.
To clarify, the neck WILL be underslung if it is a 6M alto, but the 10M tenors did NOT acquire the underslung neck until the early 1960's, when they also lost the ladyface engraving. Learn if the seller is marketing an alto or a tenor. Incidentally, the underslung tenor looks neat on a sax stand with the underslung alto alongside
Regarding the YTS-23, your chosen mouthpiece/ligature/reed combination makes a world of difference. I have stated this elsewhere in SOTW, but world class tech Stephen Howard, who comments often in the forum, plays the YTS-23 as his tenor of choice, and he has tried virtually everything. Before you break out a large investment in a "new" horn, try upgrading your mouthpiece/lig/reed combination. You might just fall in love with your YTS all over again.
Sax Magic

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I chatted with the seller, and it is in fact a tenor, and he's sending me some pictures soon, to clear up any misconceptions .Also, who said I didn't love my Yamaha!? That thing plays like a dream, and my particular combo of e-rosseau mouthpiece, soprano rovner lig, and vandoren blue box 3 reeds really makes it sing in the upper register. To tell you the truth, the whole thing is a profit gaining venture: the conn is a good deal, and I got the yamaha for a great price, too. With chool coming up soon, I should have no problem selling either, depending on which I decide to keep based on a god day of hard thinking and playing, to a student, for a hefty profit. Also, I like Conns for some reason, vintage ones. They just feel right, and really, can any of us dispute that if it feels right, and it sounds good, something's going right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts