Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· TOTM administrator
S: R&C Half-curved, EM Curvy; A: YAS875EXIIS, PM 67R; T: Eastman 52nd St, Triumpf; B: Nova Bronze
8,213 Posts
Hi, I was offered a Conn 6M VIII Alto for USD$700.00. The gold-plating is not in good condition(mostly the bell) but plays very well. Is it worth it?

Thanks!
Too vague.... Pad life? Dents? Cracks? Serial Number/Year?

Pictures are a must to value this. $700 would indeed be a great deal for a great player in good condition - but we would need more details. If it needs an overhaul, could be about even on value. If it just needs minimal work, I'd buy it. More details and pictures would help though.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too vague.... Pad life? Dents? Cracks? Serial Number/Year?

Pictures are a must to value this. $700 would indeed be a great deal for a great player in good condition - but we would need more details. If it needs an overhaul, could be about even on value. If it just needs minimal work, I'd buy it. More details and pictures would help though.
It has no cracks, dents, etc. Serial number is 297xxx, year according to saxpics.com could be 1942.

· TOTM administrator
S: R&C Half-curved, EM Curvy; A: YAS875EXIIS, PM 67R; T: Eastman 52nd St, Triumpf; B: Nova Bronze
8,213 Posts
Yeah, agreed with everything above. I'd buy it at $700 based on those pictures and your description of it playing well. Always wanted one of these :D

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What does the VIII mean on these?
"I have at least one example of the 6M model VIII, featured in the Gallery. This is supposed to be the best version of the 6M, as are horns produced with an "x" before or after the serial number. The former is a horn with a moderately modified neck design and is generally accepted as the best model of the 6M. The latter is generally considered to be an eXperimental design (additional keywork, or vents, bore, etc.). There are also horns that feature the standard "over the top" octave key design -- referred to as a "New York Style" neck." from
http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.