Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the intonation on the Conn 6M Viii alto sax? I play tested one however I didn't have my tuner with me to go through the horn. The sax I played sounded ok to my ear but you know how it is... Thanks folks

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I purchased a Conn 6m viii from Gayle at vintagesax awhile back, and it was the best alto I've ever played on, and I've played lot's of altos. I ended up sending it back cause I've decided I'm going with modern horns...After playing on a Custom Z tenor for almost 5 years, I really like the key action on modern horns. I want to buy a yanagisawa alto next, but if I decide to go back to vintage I would go with a conn.

The intonation on that horn, If I remember correctly, it was a 285xxx, was outstanding! The tone was big, warm, thick, dark, almost sounding like a tenor. I have never played on a alto that sounded that way before with a sound that big. I remember middle C# was locked in tune, the low register was to die for, middle D was the best sounding D I've ever heard on alto, palm keys were thick and fat, etc, etc, etc...Anyways, Good luck with your search...Joe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
The intonation on 6M's is very good to outstanding --never had a problem. Buy with confidence --these horns will never 'date'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I have had a LOT of 6ms pass through my hands, and I have yet to play one with intonation issues. Conn 6ms and chu berries (LOL) are the most consistent horns I have ever seen as far as build quality, tone and intonation. I often tell my friends that there is no such thing as a bad chu alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,135 Posts
Very good. I have a Selmer Mark VI and my 6M is better in tune and has a better sound. The VI has a better pinky table, but it is the sound that matters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It has no more intonation problems than any other horn of the same period and quality - which is to say that if it has any, they're of little significance to the average player with even a half-reasonable embouchure. Same as any horn, in fact.

That's a fact - if you want an opinion...the 6M is the alto than Conn should never have stopped making.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Conn_6M.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Marshal Royal played lead alto for the Basie band for years using a Conn transitional from around 1932, which was essentially a 6M with a Chu pinky table. Listen ot the Basie band from that era (50's, 60's) and see if you notice intonation problems (you won't). My alto is a "Tranny" from the same era. The only intonation problems are with the player ;-).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
How is the intonation on the Conn 6M Viii alto sax? I play tested one however I didn't have my tuner with me to go through the horn. The sax I played sounded ok to my ear but you know how it is... Thanks folks
Tempted to say 'trust yourself'- if it sounded ok to you then, in all probability, its ok...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts