Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this issue where my high A has a tendency to be quite sharp and a bit airy, which is exacerbated at low volumes - I'm talking 20 to 30 cents unless I compensate (which I can do, but I don't think I should have to). The issue extends above that note too but the A is the worst.

This led me to believe it's a problem with the upper octave key mechanism (the one on the neck) so I tried playing the upper register without the octave key and the airiness went away and the tuning was slightly better. The issue is also somewhat helped when I lightly press the G key (LH ring finger).

I'm going to take it to a tech to see what they have to say, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be. maybe the octave key is opening too much? maybe it's key heights? I wouldn't really know how to tell but any ideas/help would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,955 Posts
I also might add that you sorta figured out part of the solution yourself, already: Have the G keyheight set a tad lower than it currently is....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try the technique described in this article: Fixing a Saxophone Octave Hiss I have used it to good effect on different saxophones. It has even helped the A intonation as well as the sound on some.
I was going to try this method but I have a 6M with the underslung octave key, so it doesn't look like the one in the picture - the opening is substantially bigger. is it still worth trying or should I just scrap the DIY method and take it to a tech?

·
17,955 Posts
...or should I just scrap the DIY method and take it to a tech?
Yes, do that....it could still be a few different things going on and not just one...I do not believe a hiss correction will do anything to resolve intonation problems up high.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I have the hiss on my Couf Superba II as well. I minimized it (but didn't completely stop it) by adding a cork "wedge" to the inside of the pip. Every sax has it's pitfalls.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the hiss on my Couf Superba II as well. I minimized it (but didn't completely stop it) by adding a cork "wedge" to the inside of the pip. Every sax has it's pitfalls.
How big and what shape are the wedge? I might experiment with something like that.

Thanks for the help everybody, sounds like a trip to the shop is in order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
If you haven't already, try putting your mouthpiece all to the micro tuner then back out the tuner to lower the pitch. There are a lot of other things this could be but this is a good place to start.

·
17,955 Posts
I don't understand those wise words...I mean, literally...not meaning 'I disagree'....

...I don't get it.

Push the mouthpiece as far in as the tuner goes in at it's furthest position ? Then back the whole assembly out by turning the tuner ?

...or put the m'piece in to where the tuner is set, then back the tuner away from the m'piece ????

I don't get the intent....

???? (sorry, maybe a brain-fart day...)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand those wise words...I mean, literally...not meaning 'I disagree'....

...I don't get it.

Push the mouthpiece as far in as the tuner goes in at it's furthest position ? Then back the mouthpiece out by turning the tuner ?

...or put the m'piece in to where the tuner is set, then back the tuner away from the m'piece ????

I don't get the intent....

???? (sorry, maybe a brain-fart day...)
I think the idea is to lower the volume of the chamber, then pull out using the tuner to compensate. I usually push almost all the way in, maybe it will improve if I push fully all the way it. Thanks for the tip Curt, I'll give it a try!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
There's a lot to it. Doing this might change the overall length of the neck and mouthpiece as well as the diameter of the neck (mouthpiece really) at a given spot. It might lover the upper notes a little.

You know, reading on a forum one doesn't know what the player is doing or how they are doing it. This is the most basic place to start. Key heights can also help as can a liner.

For instance, if you want to mess around and see something cool. Grab some tape like painters tape or any masking tape. Cut four pieces about 3 inches long and stack then up. Now cut your thick tape stack into a strip somewhere between 1/2" and 1/4". Put that in the small end of the neck like a temporary bore liner.

That's all silliness without the horn set up though.

Now your sharpness up top is gone. Maybe too much so!

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts