Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice please about CONN 6m necks.

Ive just bought a great condition 6m.

I think the neck is original to the sax, but it isnt in original condition.

It had one of the tuning devices on it, but this has been removed.
I know some of these were simply cut off and replaced with a piece of tubing. This is not that.
Part of the original mechanism (the fixed part ) is still in place and I believe the original tube has been soldered in to that. It’s a good job, to the effect that it looks ok, and it seems to work ok. I dont think it effects playability.

But it annoys me !!!!
I like things to be right !!!!!

So, I’m going to look around for another 6m neck.
Either with the tuning mechanism, or without. I dont really care, as long as it is original and hasnt been tampered with.

However, I’m aware that not all underslung necks are interchangeable.
For example, I tried the neck from the transitional alto of a friend. It didnt have the double socket feature that I need.

My 6m is srl 316k, with RTH

So, the advice I’m looking for is this.
“Are all 6m necks with double socket compatible with each other?“
Or do I have to try to be very specific regarding the serial number?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Brian, all double socket necks (6m/26m) are interchangeable the socket /tenon sizes remained the same. Apart from the micro-mod -which as I explained was necessary at the time for the horn to function I'm glad the horn plays well. As an aside how does it compare with the 26M (Connqueror) you had last year?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,257 Posts
I agree that you should be OK with any 6M neck but finding one may not be that easy. The tuner disappeared around 1953 so you have about a 20 year span of these. A later non-tuner should also work.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, thanks for the info re necks.

It doesn’t play well. It needs attention. So it doesn’t compare with the 26m, which played better.

However it merits being brought back to life, which I will have done.

·
3,410 Posts
It's been 9 years since I sold that horn -we have moved house twice since, that's how I know! I played lead alto on it in a couple of bands at that time for around 6 months before it went to Scotland. Phil(2nd hand saxes) in Australia usually has a couple of 6m necks in his inventory....

·
3,410 Posts
I agree that you should be OK with any 6M neck but finding one may not be that easy. The tuner disappeared around 1953 so you have about a 20 year span of these. A later non-tuner should also work.
Thanks Bruce for confirming that fact about the neck specs.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark, I knew exactly what the condition of the sax was before I bought it, including the neck, and that I would look for a replacement neck. Your input was spot on.
I was/am happy with the deal.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
If you find a new neck, let me know. I may be interested in buying yours without the tuner.
I guess that was an option back then to buy a 6M without the micro tuner.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you find a new neck, let me know. I may be interested in buying yours without the tuner.
I guess that was an option back then to buy a 6M without the micro tuner.
Whaler, thanks. Ok, will do.

Yes, for certain in the UK it was possible to buy a Conn without the micro tuner. There are many like that over here.
Ive seen a picture of Charlie Parker playing a non tuner Conn alto, so I assume there must have been an option over there too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,961 Posts
But it annoys me !!!!
I like things to be right !!!!!
Then why did you buy the horn ?

Not to be snarky, but seriously. You knew about the absent microtuner when you purchased it.

So to now say "I like things to be right !" is contradictory, no ? If that was your desire, you bought the wrong 6M.

If you knew of it ....and now want a magic correction.. perhaps should have investigated the availability and cost of a potential correction before purchasing (?)

You can have a machinist MAKE a microtuner collar.....$$$$.....

....or you can try to find another original factory neck ...$$$$$...

....or you can have a custom neck maker make a custom replica neck - or a custom replica collar (the latter of which would then require a tech to de-construct the fix it currently has) ....$$$$.

So, I’m going to look around for another 6m neck.
Either with the tuning mechanism, or without. I dont really care, as long as it is original and hasn't been tampered with.
Therefore.... at the end of the day you will have invested way more $ in your 6M (even if you end up selling the current (altered) neck after finding a replacement which you would have to disclose as not being the original factory neck for that horn) than if you had just held off and found one with original microtuner intact, or one with no microtuner ever furnished on it.

Or ....

.....if everything works fine as-is......enjoy your horn and live with it (being sure if you ever sold it, you would of course disclose the alteration to a potential buyer).

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,357 Posts
Good luck with the neck search. When I had my 6M I regularly watched 6M auctions on Ebay. I only saw 2 necks for sale in a 3 year period, and they sold for something like $500 each.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to be snarky, but

Do you think that by writing that, it excuses you from being snarky.
The fact is you ARE being snarky!!!
Worst of all.... you know it!!

I can only assume that you are just a grumpy guy looking to cause trouble.

I’m happy to make my own financial choices, thanks very much, and to decide if I want something or not.

Ive already said I was happy with the deal. I dont need a lecture from someone who knows nothing about the deal, me, or my thinking behind it.

This was a thread with a very specific request for info about compatibility of 6m necks. It should have remained at that, and not turned in to an argument just because one grumpy, snarky member has a wish to troll.

Sadly , there do seem to be a few others like you on this forum, who seem to get a kick out of provocative, out of context posts.

If you had posted something in context, I would have been very open to it.
All the other posts in this thread were in that category, and the thread turned out to be helpful to me.
Then along comes you, with a post that is of no use to me in the slightest, which I expect you were already aware of, but thought you would just post anyway.

Your post was rude and out of order.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
KMR: This, I believe, is the nub of your opening post:

You have a Conn 6M alto, with double socket neck. You're not entirely happy with the existing neck and so you're looking for a replacement. You want to know if all such 6M double socket necks are interchangeable.

The answer is simple: Yes, all 6M double socket necks are interchangeable, as far as I know. As 6Ms without their necks are a lot more frequently found than are 6M necks without their bodies, such necks are expensive to buy. I wish you good luck with your search, anyway.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input Mike.

Yes, a good summation of both my initial post and the problem I face.

·
18,961 Posts
Do you think that by writing that, it excuses you from being snarky.
The fact is you ARE being snarky!!!
Worst of all.... you know it!!
Actually, as I previously intimated, my intent was not to offend. But you DO have to admit....your intentions, as well as your comments were contradictory.

If your goal was to have an unaltered 6M, a factory original...it would have been better just to buy one.

So, as you didn't, I can assume that something about the one you purchased...led you to purchase it. In which case that's great...and as you understood exactly what you were buying and are pleased with what you have purchased, as you stated....then my advice is to just enjoy your horn - and set aside your desire to have an unaltered neck because the existing one sorta bugs you (even though it performs fine).

Sorry you found this obvious truth to be grumpy or snarky - and I would invite you to view more of my posts here over the years before you start suggesting that I troll.

Perhaps this was just a convo which should have taken place before the actual purchase, because then you would have had the info that a replacement 6M neck (or a replacement microtuner, properly re-installed) is neither easy nor cheap to acquire. You are in a bit less of a pickle than that because, you actually have the original neck, seemingly (from your description at least) fairly intelligently altered to get rid of what some players consider a very pesky, archaic and unnecessary 'feature'.

I am not trying to be mean...your actions are not uncommon; people assume a double-socket neck replacement is not a difficult thing to get a hold of. Same problem occurs with some Kings.

I think you have gotten good information on this thread - the bottom line of it still is, however, you can find one at a significant cost. Whether in dollars and cents it makes sense to pursue that - is up to you.

Here's a tip: there's a guy selling a '60's 6M on eFlay...asking $599 or best offer. It has been up for at least 4 months now, no bites (or no offers he is happy with). Offer $499 or even a tad less ($475?), see if that flies. If it does...buy it.
Have it shipped to someone in the US (so you don't have to pay shipping/customs to UK).
Have your US friend ship you just the neck.
Sell your current (altered) neck to Whaler - for a fair price (given the alteration the price should be fair, it should really be well under $200 IMHO).
I (or someone else) here in the US will buy the body and case from you for $139 shipped.
Have your US friend then ship the body and case to the purchaser in the US.

So in the end, you will have acquired the neck you want for an outlay of around $275-ish...which is likely as good as or better (IMHO better) than what any other option would be. Certainly quicker.
You will then have an unaltered factory Conn 6M neck for your 6M.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, as I previously intimated, my intent was not to offend. But you DO have to admit....your intentions, as well as your comments were contradictory.

If your goal was to have an unaltered 6M, a factory original...it would have been better just to buy one.

So, as you didn't, I can assume that something about the one you purchased...led you to purchase it. In which case that's great...and as you understood exactly what you were buying and are pleased with what you have purchased, as you stated....then my advice is to just enjoy your horn - and set aside your desire to have an unaltered neck because the existing one sorta bugs you (even though it performs fine).

Perhaps this was just a convo which should have taken place before the actual purchase, because then you would have had the info that a replacement 6M neck (or a replacement microtuner, properly re-installed) is neither easy nor cheap to acquire.

I am not trying to be mean...your actions are not uncommon; people assume a double-socket neck replacement is not a difficult thing to get a hold of. Same problem occurs with some Kings.

I think you have gotten good information on this thread - the bottom line of it still is, however, you can find one at a significant cost. Whether in dollars and cents it makes sense to pursue that - is up to you.

Here's a tip: there's a guy selling a '60's 6M on eFlay...asking $599 or best offer. It has been up for at least 4 months now, no bites (or no offers he is happy with). Offer $499 or even a tad less ($475?), see if that flies. If it does...buy it.
Use that neck on your horn. Sell the current (altered) neck to Whaler - for a fair price (given the alteration the price should be fair, it should really be well under $200 IMHO).
I (or someone else) will buy the body and case from you for $139 shipped.

So in the end, you will have acquired the neck you want for an outlay of around $275-ish...which is likely as good as or better (IMHO better) than what any other option would be. You will then have a factory Conn 6M neck for your 6M, just a later era one .

Thanks very much for your constructive and positive input. It’s much appreciated.

Yes, Ive been looking at that one, along with some others in the same kind of area, price wise.

The downside is the cost of getting them to me, plus likely import duty.

I’m still deciding what the best route is. But I thought I may need to be patient, so I’m not going to rush.

Thanks again

·
18,961 Posts
Thanks very much for your constructive and positive input. It’s much appreciated.

Yes, Ive been looking at that one, along with some others in the same kind of area, price wise.

The downside is the cost of getting them to me, plus likely import duty.

I’m still deciding what the best route is. But I thought I may need to be patient, so I’m not going to rush.

Thanks again
As you were writing your reply here....I revised my post above when I realized you were UK.

Have the horn shipped to a friend or associate in the US. Then they can part the horn and just send you the neck, which would be very cheap to ship and they can put a low valuation amount on the forms so you don't get dinged by VAT, etc.
Then they can ship body + case to whoever buys it in US...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As you were writing your reply here....I revised my post above when I realized you were UK.

Have the horn shipped to a friend or associate in the US. Then they can part the horn and just send you the neck, which would be very cheap to ship and they can put a low valuation amount on the forms so you don't get dinged by VAT, etc.
Then they can ship body + case to whoever buys it in US...

Yes, that route has crossed my mind also.

Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts