Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can all of you gurus tell me about the 6M in the 265,000 range Vs other years.
Stroll a good horn Vs others?
What should one expect to pay for one in very good shape?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Pros:

Enormous flexible sound, easy light keywork, superb intonation, not very expensive.

Cons:

You'll never appreciate Selmers again.

Pricing: in lacquer in playing condition but not freshly re-done, probably around $1000. In silver and freshly overhauled, maybe $3000.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW WOW WOW lost circuits, that is beautiful.
OK, i pulled the trigger on a silver 265xxx 6M, now i await delivery

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a bit more help, the horn i bought does not have a usable case.
Any watchouts/guidance on a case for 6Ms or do they fit the normal brood?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have a rectangular Pro Tec case and a contoured Pro Tec case that both fit a Conn 6M. I have no idea of the model numbers, though.

Tight fitting cases designed for Selmer/Selmer copy saxes probably won't fit.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The SN range 265xxx dates it to 1935. While Conn were still turning out transitional tenors in that year, the Conn altos were nearing the end of their transition from NWII to 6M by then, so it may well be the case that yours is effectively a fully-fledged 6M in all but name.

Whether this is good or not is up to you to decide. There were some features of the Transitional alto which were phased out in the 6M, but which I personally have always thought should have been kept.

I'd need to see photographs to comment further on your new acquisition.

Many of the modern alto cases were designed to fit an instrument with bell keys on the right hand side, whereas the 6M's bell keys are on the left. This is a potential cause of problems. I keep my 1947 6M in a Hiscox LiteFlite Pro II case. It fits it perfectly.

For me, the 6M as produced between 1935 and 1947 (with rolled tone holes) was the best instrument that Conn ever made, and is indeed the best alto sax that has ever been made anywhere. Your mileage may vary.

Congratulations on your astute purchase !

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here she is!
Yep, she is everything you all say they are.
Love it already, intonation amazing across.
Will take a bit of time getting used to the keys, but totally worth it.

Not sure if I mentioned, but a funny thing happened on the way to buying this 6M....got a tiny bit distracted, a Conn C Melody from 1923. Didn't want the 6M to feel lonely. That arrives this week!

View attachment 243124
View attachment 243126
View attachment 243128
View attachment 243130
View attachment 243132
View attachment 243134
View attachment 243136

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Ripper ! It's a 6M Transitional, all right. And a real beauty, too! It's got the old NWII double-knurl microtuner, but loads of 6M features as well.

In my post above I said: "There were some features of the Transitional alto which were phased out in the 6M, but which I personally have always thought should have been kept." I didn't elaborate, but there were two of them, and I see that your new machine has both ! One is the adjustable RH thumb hook, to be seen in Photo #4. The other is the G-sharp key (on the LH little-finger table), to be seen in Photo #6 — here you see the broad end facing forward, as it does on the 10M tenor; in the 6M, this was reversed, so that the pointy end faced forward.

The horn looks in superb condition overall, too. I envy you your good fortune and wish you many happy years with this fine instrument !

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
688 Posts
From one Transitional owner to another, WOWZA! And congratulations!

Gorgeous horn, and as you have found out, a sound to die for.

Be sure to show us your C-Mel too, when it arrives.

Enjoy your new horns,
Kenneth

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It needs some set up for sure. Going to play it a bit more and makes notes of all the things I want my tech to do. This is one of those horns that makes me glad I live near NYC and can have a great tech work on it.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
If you are still looking for a case, go to Forum - Saxophone Accessories - Cases and you will find a sticky called "Definitive case compatibility chart" that will list your options.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are still looking for a case, go to Forum - Saxophone Accessories - Cases and you will find a sticky called "Definitive case compatibility chart" that will list your options.
Yes. I looked there. It’s a chart, certainly not definitive. Lots of empty space still.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
Those are some beautiful old Conns. I have two old Conn trombones, one from 1937 and the other from 1939, and they are amazing players. A new sax player, I have always been curious about the saxes of the same vintage.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They really were amazing craftmen back then. Beautiful, creative, inventive, AND, they all played great!

My previous horns were trumpet before sax.
Here is my two new sax’s cousin, a 1932 40B Vocabell. Check out the Art Deco engraving and all the deco details across the horn, from 12 sided valve casings to the sleek water keys.

Btw, us trumpet guys never got any naked ladies...we were stuck with a naked Pan the flute player (see bell detail in pic below).

View attachment 244348

View attachment 244350

View attachment 244352

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
Vocal bells are cool. I have not ventured into the trombone variation. Currently have a 1937 small bore 24H and a 1939 32H Burkle. The 24H is a screamer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,812 Posts
Ripper ! It's a 6M Transitional, all right. And a real beauty, too! It's got the old NWII double-knurl microtuner, but loads of 6M features as well.

In my post above I said: "There were some features of the Transitional alto which were phased out in the 6M, but which I personally have always thought should have been kept." I didn't elaborate, but there were two of them, and I see that your new machine has both ! One is the adjustable RH thumb hook, to be seen in Photo #4. The other is the G-sharp key (on the LH little-finger table), to be seen in Photo #6 — here you see the broad end facing forward, as it does on the 10M tenor; in the 6M, this was reversed, so that the pointy end faced forward.

The horn looks in superb condition overall, too. I envy you your good fortune and wish you many happy years with this fine instrument !
Mine’s from a little earlier than Mott’s, at 262xxx, and mine has both these features as well. I had Matt Stohrer overhaul it a couple of years ago & yeah if I had to get rid of all my altos but one, it would be the keeper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts