Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm primarily a tenor/Bari sax player but decided to pick this horn up a while back in practically new condition, in case I ever needed bass clarinet for a double. I've been taking some time lately to shed a bit and surprised how rich the sound was.

For all of you who double on bass clarinet in big bands (which is what I would use this for) will the lack of a low C, or even Eb hurt me?

Also what are peoples opinions on conn bass clarinets in general?

Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,309 Posts
as long the horn is in serviceable condition -it should serve you fine. the lack of low eb really isnt an issue with the playing you plan to do. the best thing you can do is get a really good mpc like a vandoreen. it will make a world of difference. playing a good synthetic reed like a legre will make playing and learning the bass much eaiser also. its all i have ever used on my bass but i was a clarinet player before sax/ playing bass is a blast as you will find out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as long the horn is in serviceable condition -it should serve you fine. the lack of low eb really isnt an issue with the playing you plan to do. the best thing you can do is get a really good mpc like a vandoreen. it will make a world of difference. playing a good synthetic reed like a legre will make playing and learning the bass much eaiser also. its all i have ever used on my bass but i was a clarinet player before sax/ playing bass is a blast as you will find out.
I can’t stand regular clarinet, but I’m loving bass so far, it’s a lot more sax like. Also the sound is amazing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts