Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm sure this is strictly against forum rules, but I'm checking for interest for my Conn 30M, offers and suggestions. Basically, I want to see what yall think before I put it on ebay. I've seen a couple of these go there for $4,000, but I know that doesn't mean I'll get that.
This is an amazing horn, I bought from Perry Ritter who was selling it for Greg Tardy. I haven't played it too much since I bought it about one year ago. Perry put it in tip top condition before he sold it to me. It has, I don't know, 70% original lacquer. Pads are good. Noyeks on top stack, standard metal domes on right hand and nylon on bell keys. Don't know if that's Tardy's style, Perry's, or someone else altogether, but it works great.
I'm thinking of selling it because I prefer my Buescher, and I think it's worth too much for me to keep it as a back up horn. Ideally, I want enough to pay off my GAS debts and buy another horn for a backup. So, good trades plus cash is a great option. American horns would interest me.
I'm living in Hungary now, so I could mail to Europe or Asia from here. But I'll be in New York in late June, so USA sales should wait till early August.
Don't have pics now except of me playing it. If interested, please write for more specific info. john_dikemanˇ at yahoo dot com . I guess I start bids at $4,000 obo. For a trade, a horn in playing condition plus $2,000 would be ideal. But something like a prime Super 20 could make me think twice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey John,

I'll trade you my King Cleveland tenor for it...and i'll throw in this cool Beechler alto mouthpiece that keeps hangin' around my house. No problem waiting till August:D

Rory

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,892 Posts
John_Dikeman said:
Hello,
I guess I start bids at $4,000 obo. For a trade, a horn in playing condition plus $2,000 would be ideal. But something like a prime Super 20 could make me think twice.
Start bids at $4000, you probably won't do too well, start at $50 and you'll most likely get more in the end.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Rory,

Is your King silversonic or all-brass?

·
2,766 Posts
John_Dikeman said:
Hello,

I'm sure this is strictly against forum rules, but I'm checking for interest for my Conn 30M, offers and suggestions. Basically, I want to see what yall think before I put it on ebay. I've seen a couple of these go there for $4,000, but I know that doesn't mean I'll get that.
This is an amazing horn, I bought from Perry Ritter who was selling it for Greg Tardy. I haven't played it too much since I bought it about one year ago. Perry put it in tip top condition before he sold it to me. It has, I don't know, 70% original lacquer. Pads are good. Noyeks on top stack, standard metal domes on right hand and nylon on bell keys. Don't know if that's Tardy's style, Perry's, or someone else altogether, but it works great.
I'm thinking of selling it because I prefer my Buescher, and I think it's worth too much for me to keep it as a back up horn. Ideally, I want enough to pay off my GAS debts and buy another horn for a backup. So, good trades plus cash is a great option. American horns would interest me.
I'm living in Hungary now, so I could mail to Europe or Asia from here. But I'll be in New York in late June, so USA sales should wait till early August.
Don't have pics now except of me playing it. If interested, please write for more specific info. john_dikeman? at yahoo dot com . I guess I start bids at $4,000 obo. For a trade, a horn in playing condition plus $2,000 would be ideal. But something like a prime Super 20 could make me think twice.
I remember that horn. It was sitting in pieces at Terry Deane's place in Brooklyn for a long time. 10 or so years ago. In those days, Tardy was playing an SML tenor. By late '97 he switched to a Selmer BA or SBA. I haven't seen Tardy in years.The last time I saw him he bought a Selmer bass clarinet off of Marc Phaneuf.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I'd say the horn could fetch $2k-$3k unless it's got some kind of killer overhaul. I never played that horn, but the 30Ms I have played are just like your garden-variety 10M.

You can ask $4k and wait for a collector from Mars that must have that horn. Might take a week or two years, but you might be able to get $4k. Sell it for $2k, and it will fly!

Good luck.

-AF

·
6,862 Posts
Hey YHB,

The Cleveland is from the real glory days at King, the days before anybody knew what "super sonic" even meant. It's all brass (except for the nickle keys) and silver plated...and it roars! Unfortunately I only ship via Canada Post:twisted:

Rory

ps. bump
pps. are the 30ms also nicknamed Connqueror?

·
6,862 Posts
Hey Mike! What tongue, what cheek?

Seriously John, I know you drive a hard bargain, but if you act now I'll throw in this rare vintage (never mind the date on the picture, it's really a2006) Canadian Tire alto sax ligature and the Ace Canon cd--these will help you get off that hippy art jazz you've been messing around with and play some real sax!! (sorry the bourbon is long gone). :D

Rory

ps. if I still had an alto, I'd be using the Beechler right now to play "Oh give me a home..."

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I've played four 30M's and many 10M's and I've never played a 10M that can touch a 30M. The sound is similar but the action, intonation, and response blows any 10M away in my opinion. Just sayin'.

·
Forum Contributor 2006 Distinguished SOTW Member
919 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
I've played four 30M's and many 10M's and I've never played a 10M that can touch a 30M. The sound is similar but the action, intonation, and response blows any 10M away in my opinion. Just sayin'.
meh, dex sounded pretty darn good on a 10m:(

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
newking70 said:
meh, dex sounded pretty darn good on a 10m:(
I didn't say that 10m's weren't good horns. And Dex had a 30m (check early pics), however, I have a theory about that that is probably best not repeated (let's just say that the street value of a 30M was a bit higher than a 10M in those does). 10M's are great horns. As I've said, I've played many, but every 30M I've played (including my own) is an improvement on it. That's my experience.

·
Distinguished Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking of starting it on ebay for $3,000 and seeing what happens. $4,000 is obviously my, oh boy oh boy, wouldnt it be cool if I could sell it for that, price. And I have seen a couple on ebay go for that. However, I'm open to negotiations if anyone on here is interested.
BarrySachs: Thanks for the history, I've been a bit curious about where it came form or to what degree Tardy used it. A friend of mine who lives in New York claims he saw him playing it with Jason Linder some years back. I don't know. Of course, the only thing usefull about the fact Greg owned it, is maybe that indicates it's a decent 30M and not a lemon. And it does seem he played it a bit and had it for some time. Of course, he had reasons for selling it. One thing he did to it which I don't care for too much, apparantly he used to blow so hard some of the keys would open up, so Perry tightened everything and now the mechinism is a bit tight for my tastes.

rleitch: You know, when I spotted that Bourbon I was really thinking about what you had to offer, but now... BTW, that beechler is a beauitful instrument on it's own. You don't need an alto to enjoy it. Just clmap on an old tenor reed, or dixie cup spoon, it's all good. I will pass on the cleveland though.
Actually, maybe we should use that Beechler for the SOTW donation. Might be a good idea, some guys on here like those...

OK, Any offers advice, keep em coming!
john

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
John, I've moved your thread to the Advice On Buying And Selling forum, where it really belongs.

Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts