Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve been looking at a nice 26m connqueror from 1935, with original lacquer and in good mechanical shape. The g# trill key and rod has been removed though, and is missing. I rarely use the g# trill key on my 30m and hece don’t think I would miss it, but it is somewhat annoying that the sax is not in original shape. I guess it makes the value of the sax somewhat less?

The posts for the rod are still present, so it would be possible to restore it, if I could find a spare part (which I guess is not that easy). Anyone happen to have a g# trill key from a 26m collecting dust in a drawer somewhere?

/Björn

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Well, mine is collecting dust on the horn, I don't use it either.
You have asked and answered your own questions. Since the key is like a lever, it might be reasonable to find someone to make one for you. If the price is right, why not?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi, I’ve been looking at a nice 26m connqueror from 1935, with original lacquer and in good mechanical shape. The g# trill key and rod has been removed though, and is missing. I rarely use the g# trill key on my 30m and hece don’t think I would miss it, but it is somewhat annoying that the sax is not in original shape. I guess it makes the value of the sax somewhat less?

The posts for the rod are still present, so it would be possible to restore it, if I could find a spare part (which I guess is not that easy). Anyone happen to have a g# trill key from a 26m collecting dust in a drawer somewhere?

/Björn
Would a key from a 6M fit ? Secondhandsaxes has a 6M he's selling parts from. Give him an email: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. A key from a 6M won't fit though, unfortunately. A custom build key and rod might be my best bet.

Here's the sax in question:

http://www.raffaeleinghilterra.it/i...M_LACCATO_*RITAMPONATO*_M-269236AN.html#59593

The price (€2500 ≈ $2800) is I guess reasonable? (given it is fully overhauled), if it would have been in original condition. I would buy it as a player, not collector, but I don't want to pay much more than I can get back if I would need to sell it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
This is an interesting instrument, even without the G# trill.

Check out the high E key (for RH index finger) - it's not raised — it's level with the two other keys below it. That's an NWII feature.

Also the microtuner is an adapted version of the double knurl version used on the NWII, which was replaced by the broad single knurl version on the 6M and later 26M.

The SN — M269236AN — is from 1935, a very early one for a 26M. The earliest 26M shown in SaxPics is stamped "M269930A"; it has the raised high E key as you would expect, but like this one you're considering it has the same variation of the double knurl microtuner. The suffix letter "A" appears on a lot of Conn altos from this period — maybe it was just A for alto —*but I have no explanation for the letter "N" which comes after the "A" on the instrument you are thinking of buying.

What you have here is a Transitional 26M. I don't know if it's worth as much as the vendor wants, but it's not your run-of-the mill 26M, so it might be worth making an offer on…

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts

/Björn
there was a similar thread sometime ago.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?132727-New-Connqueror-alto-missing-a-rod?s=

“ but it is somewhat annoying that the sax is not in original shape"

Of course . and precisely for this reason it will make a difference in value, whether the key is used or not is immaterial to the fact that it would, and considerably, affect the value, just as much as a scratch doesn’t affect playability or usability but it does affect the value of anything.

There are other horns with a “ disabled” key, and even those, if not revesable, would affect negatively the value. I have always insisted that any horn has to be preserved, functional, as it was originally made by the factory when it comes to keys whether they are used or not.

Read more about this

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?195582-What-do-these-keys-do/page2

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
> The earliest 26M shown in SaxPics is stamped "M269930A";

Woohoo! Mine is SN M268617A.

Could it be?? Is it possible??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there was a similar thread sometime ago.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?132727-New-Connqueror-alto-missing-a-rod?s=

“ but it is somewhat annoying that the sax is not in original shape"

Of course . and precisely for this reason it will make a difference in value, whether the key is used or not is immaterial to the fact that it would, and considerably, affect the value, just as much as a scratch doesn’t affect playability or usability but it does affect the value of anything.

There are other horns with a “ disabled” key, and even those, if not revesable, would affect negatively the value. I have always insisted that any horn has to be preserved, functional, as it was originally made by the factory when it comes to keys whether they are used or not.

Read more about this

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?195582-What-do-these-keys-do/page2

Thanks milandro, I had missed that thread. It pretty much answers my question.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
> The earliest 26M shown in SaxPics is stamped "M269930A";

Woohoo! Mine is SN M268617A.

Could it be?? Is it possible??
Of course it could !

SaxPics just shows a more-or-less random selection of photographs arranged in chronological order of production to illustrate the progression of each instrument model: it makes no claim to be comprehensive. The point I was making is that the earliest 26M illustrated at SaxPics is not as old as the instrument which is the subject of this thread, and the keywork shows development from the one to the other.

As your 26M is older than both of these I'd be very interested to see photos of it, to try and gain a better understanding of the transition: these old 26M examples retain a lot of features from the NWII altos, as do the earliest 6M Trannies — yet while the development of the 6M from the NWII via a transitional period is generally acknowledged, I've never heard anyone speak of a 26M Tranny; indeed, it's as if the 26M sprang from the womb fully formed.

Here's another thread where the development of the G# trill key is discussed. Specifically, this thread is about a 6M, but it is just as relevant to a 26M:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?212562-Conn-6m-G-trill-key

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Thanks for showing us the photos of your 26M, StuartSax.

As it has a Selmer neck, there's no checking which Conn neck was originally provided with it; however, the RH high E key is raised at a 45-degree angle (approximately) - which was a later feature of the 26M. The 26M mentioned by the OP (M269236AN) and the earliest one in SaxPics (M269930A) are both younger than yours (M268617A) — yet both have the earlier design for the high E key ! It's a real puzzle…

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
MikeT, the octave mechanism is unchanged and does not have the reversing linkage necessary for the under slung. So, I'd conclude the original neck was the 30m style over slung - which was gorgeous, IMHO.

Here's an interesting set of pictures of it side to side with a similar vintage 6m tranny.
https://m.facebook.com/StuartSaxophone/albums/1142196962544399/

·
38,837 Posts
There are als other possibilities for necks (the 26M came with 3 different ones) , one being the so called New York Style

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
There are als other possibilities for necks (the 26M came with 3 different ones) , one being the so called New York Style ]
That's the one I had in mind.
Don't the other 2 require the reversing mechanism?

·
38,837 Posts
only one, the underslung, the other, also known as METRO has a ring at the bottom ( and a special metal protector).

·
38,837 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've just sifted through a lot of images for the 26m. None had the overslung with ring neck. I'm not certain but do conclude the one above was for the 6m.
The plug shows up on other 26 and 6's.

·
38,837 Posts
I am sure that I have seen 26M with the metro necks which couls be used on both models. I had never seen the plg on the New York neck but there you go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts