Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good People,
I am now the proud owner of a Conn 22M, Made in the USA, S/N 000995. I am struggling to identify the year manufactured from several lists I have looked at. Is it possible this was produced between 72-76? It does have rolled tone holes.

Thank you,
John

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
709 Posts
That's a horn from the early 1990s, made when Conn was owned by UMI. Almost a last hurrah, if you will. Set up right it's a pretty good instrument.

Btw, a search of the forum will bring up several threads about this period of Conn saxophones.

Enjoy,
Kenneth

Reactions: Mike T

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,194 Posts
UMI took over Conn in 1984-5...it could be slightly earlier than '90. But if you wanted to have an answer to that question, you could say late 80's-early 90's.

If anyone has a definitive UMI serial # list anywhere, I'd love to see it. I don't believe there is one.

(eegads I just went over to the Conn-Selmer Conn sax serial charts.....they are sooooo wrong in post-1970 info....that it's truly mind-numbing)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a horn from the early 1990s, made when Conn was owned by UMI. Almost a last hurrah, if you will. Set up right it's a pretty good instrument.

Btw, a search of the forum will bring up several threads about this period of Conn saxophones.

Enjoy,
Kenneth
Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UMI took over Conn in 1984-5...it could be slightly earlier than '90. But if you wanted to have an answer to that question, you could say late 80's-early 90's.

If anyone has a definitive UMI serial # list anywhere, I'd love to see it. I don't believe there is one.

(eegads I just went over to the Conn-Selmer Conn sax serial charts.....they are sooooo wrong in post-1970 info....that it's truly mind-numbing)
Thank you!

·
709 Posts
Superfeed, I may have answered your question a little bit too hastily.

Although a US-made RTH 22M is definitely a UMI instrument, the serial number 000995 does not seem to fit in with any known scheme from the UMI period.

IIRC, the 22M was introduced into the lineup around 1989 or 1990. I wonder if the serial on your horn isn't actually 4000995, which would make it one from 1990? Speculation on my part, really.

Kenneth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superfeed, I may have answered your question a little bit too hastily.

Although a US-made RTH 22M is definitely a UMI instrument, the serial number 000995 does not seem to fit in with any known scheme from the UMI period.

IIRC, the 22M was introduced into the lineup around 1989 or 1990. I wonder if the serial on your horn isn't actually 4000995, which would make it one from 1990? Speculation on my part, really.

Kenneth
Hi Kenneth,

Maybe they left the 4 off? The stamping is quite clear. Maybe I'm just confused! lol I'll have to look and take some pics when I get home, but thank you very much!

John

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
In a long-forgotten post on March 16, 2013 JayeLID wrote, in part:

A more accurate reading of the last generation of Conn would read:

1970-1984 = NXXXX - N280,XXX
1985-2003 = non-letter prefix 6-digit and 7-digit serial numbers ~ UMI-produced Conns (not confused with earlier ones due to stylistic and model differences).
(conn 16m Director serial number)
In a post on March 14, 2017, Stocker wrote, with regard to a 24M with a 7-digit serial number commencing with 7 (Conn, King and Armstrong were all brands in the UMI stable):

The "7" prefix denotes the Nogales factory. (5 = Eastlake [King], 6 = Elkhart [Armstrong].)

…1998 [was] the first year of 24M production. There's no published serial number chart for this era (yet), but UMI re-started serial numbers at 7100001 when the 24M was introduced so the early ones are easy to determine.
(Doubt of year of manufacturing of my Conn 24M)
Adding these two nuggets to the information provided by Kenneth and JayeLID above, I think we can surmise that this 22M was an early 6-digit UMI horn, made c.1989, (i.e., before the initial digit denoting the factory of manufacture was introduced).

·
709 Posts
Asked Auntie Google and found this, FWIW, pinch of salt:

- Conn serial numbers, 1970-2006

According to this list the 6 number serials starting with "7" and without the "N" prefix came out after the 7 number serials with the "4" date codes, to later then revert to 7 number serials. Sheesh!

BTW, I have an RTH 21M ex-US Navy horn (or better, previously owned by a musician from the US Navy) with SN 4457XXX which should date it to 1994, which seems about right for me.

Kenneth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

According to this list the 6 number serials starting with "7" and without the "N" prefix came out after the 7 number serials with the "4" date codes, to later then revert to 7 number serials. Sheesh!

BTW, I have an RTH 21M ex-US Navy horn (or better, previously owned by a musician from the US Navy) with SN 4457XXX which should date it to 1994, which seems about right for me.

Kenneth
Well..., that cleared it up!

hahahaha

Thank you,
John

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

Kenneth
Thankyou for this blog reference, Kenneth: it's one I hadn't come across. It's interesting that this blog by "stockinstrumentrepair" was started in October 2012 when Andy, the blogger, was "learning how to repair band instruments at Minnesota Southeast Technical in Red Wing," (which is on the River, SE of St. Paul). SotW member @Stocker, whom I quoted in my last post above, is from White Bear Township, which is also in Minnesota (due north of St. Paul). I wonder if "Andy" and "Stocker" are the same person (and if so, whether Stocker's posts in SotW modify the information in this blog, or vice versa) ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts