Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some thoughts on the Conn tenors. I'm looking at a 22M serial # starting with 445XXXX but I don't know much about the Conns, or tenors for that matter. I play alto. Are these good horns? Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
552 Posts
They are intermediate horns I got to play the alto once -- the alto version plays well -- dont know about the tenor but ,if it is like the alto it is worth a try

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have a little 24M alto. I call it a Mexiconn but mine was actually made in Nogales, Arizona, not Mexico. It was ok to teach my son on. I don't think it is anything really special. Just an ok student horn. I figure the US made 24M is about the same. The Mexican version is probably a little worse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I suspected. Thanks for the feedback.
It's bad enough I'm thinking about getting another alto, and trying to decide what I'd trade in for or buy, without also trying to decide on a tenor to start learning on. Any recommendations for an excellent tenor? I'm getting pretty solid on alto, but I really love the sound of tenor and want to learn it as well. Any thoughts on good tenors is also appreciated.

G

·
Yamaha is a great entry level sax. The YTS 23 is cheap, well made and a decent sounding horn. If you are trying to keep the cost down , look for a stencil version of the YTS 23. Yamaha has made many 23's for Vito. The Vito versions will look like the 23, and will have Japan stamped by the serial number, and of course, Vito engraved on them instead of Yamaha. But you MUST do your homework and study the Yamaha 23, because Vito has used many other companies to produce their saxes as well. Yanagisawa is the other Vito horn marked Japan by the serial number. If you are lucky enough to find one of these, they are even better than the Yamaha. So if you see a Vito stamped with Japan on it , you can't go wrong. Most of the Japanese Vito's go for quite a bit less on Ebay than a Yamaha, or Yanagisawa labled version will sell for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one that has rolled toneholes and certainly looks very Keilwerthy. It is stamped made in USA, so it's a bit of a mystery. It has a great dark tone and plays well enough, but the keywork is just a bit on the klunky side. Not as bad as some of the older vintage horns but definately not as tight and smooth as my Yamaha 61 tenor. They tend to be cheap so from that stand point could be a good starting or backup horn.

G

·
arent the 22ms keilwerth stencils? wouldnt that make them fairly good?
No. The Keilwerth made Conn's were the DJH modified models from 1980 to 1984/5. Daniel J. Henkin was the CEO at the time. The RTH Alto was the 108M. I had one, and it was easliy the best alto I have ever owned.
The RTH Tenor was the 110m. The straight tone hole version were the
94M (alto) & 96M (Tenor). Sop was a 106M, and bari 120M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts