Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instrument room at my high school contains a treasure that I have been obsessing over for a year now: a silver Conn alto sax.

After some research I have learned much more about it, but not enough to pin a model number on it, so I look to you, my fellow enthusiasts. Here are the specs:

• Overslung octave key
  • Microtuner
  • Same-side bell keys
  • Not a Shooting Star
  • Serial Number 257XXX

I'd like to find out more about it in order to see how much it will cost to have it refurbished (it is in disrepair and currently unplayable due to lack of cork). I'll try to post pics at a later time if that will help.

Anything you know about Conn saxes will help me greatly. Thank you!

P.S. Any information on instrument refurbishing in central Virginia (Charlottesville, Richmond, or Fredericksburg area) is also very welcome!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
It's a Conn Transitional model, towards the end of the serial number range, probably looking more like a 6M than anything.

The cost to have one overhauled (by a skilled, competent technician) is probably in the $800-$1000 range for silver plated altos.

These can be outstanding altos and I am actually looking for one in exactly that condition. If you're interested in selling it, please email me at [email protected] with pictures.

- Saxaholic

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
FYI,

The so called "Shooting Star" or more properly Conn Director model didn't come on the market until 1955 when it replaced their Pan American intermediate line. This of course would make that a non factor with this horn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far, and for calling me out on my lack of knowledge. Humbling the forums, one n00b at a time :D
Unfortunately for saxaholic, I don't plan to sell (unless every ounce of college financial aid falls through. In that case, I'll let you know).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Is this your instrument or the school's?

I know that in Louisiana, no piece of state owned equipment is allowed to be given away or sold. It is retired to a warehouse in Baton Rouge.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Thanks for the input so far, and for calling me out on my lack of knowledge. Humbling the forums, one n00b at a time :D
We aren't calling you out, so don't feel targeted in such a manner. ;) It's simply the responsibility of the forum and it's membership to accurately inform, and keep misnomers and internet myths etc. at bay. All for the sake of those who are reading and seeking correct information.

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I have about 20 altos and the one I play the most is a Conn New Wonder series one. I have a great 6M VIII and I am in the slow process of redoing a late Tranny. A few years ago a tenor player with a major artist came by with a King Super 20, Zephyr and a tranny. We compared those to a Selmer I had and the Tranny was the winner by a long shot. I hope my alto comes out well too. If you can buy or keep that horn, you may have a lifetime keeper. Where in VA are you? All my family came from VA and that is where I started playing 50+ years ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
FYI,

The so called "Shooting Star" or more properly Conn Director model didn't come on the market until 1955 when it replaced their Pan American intermediate line. This of course would make that a non factor with this horn.
Dude, I am consistently amazed at your knowledge of every Conn ever made, I love to read your posts.....unless of course its in regards to rolled tone holes:twisted:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhh........

...you haven't been in the instrument rehab biz, then.....I cannot tell you how many horns were school horns which come thru here......
Oh, yeah. I'm aware. I've known of a few situations regarding school horns.

Once, a repairman lost (sold) a MkVI Tenor belonging to an extremely under-funded school. He bought a new car shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@SAXISMYAXE
I'm totally cool about being corrected, I was just being cheeky, lol. I love that this forum is very laid-back, and I love that everyone says "Cheers" at the end of a post.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and regarding the legitimacy of the horn: my school system regularly auctions off old equipment and furniture (desks, computers, etc), so I hope to acquire the Conn legally.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Oh, and regarding the legitimacy of the horn: my school system regularly auctions off old equipment and furniture (desks, computers, etc), so I hope to acquire the Conn legally.
Cool. Good luck with your project! Hope it turns out to be a great playing horn.

Please do post pictures when you get a chance.

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
Is this your instrument or the school's?

I know that in Louisiana, no piece of state owned equipment is allowed to be given away or sold. It is retired to a warehouse in Baton Rouge.
I want the address of that warehouse. Anybody got a large truck I can borrow?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,996 Posts
Oh, yeah. I'm aware. I've known of a few situations regarding school horns.

Once, a repairman lost (sold) a MkVI Tenor belonging to an extremely under-funded school. He bought a new car shortly thereafter.
I believe that takes the cake for the slimiest sax-related thing I have ever heard.....

I want the address of that warehouse. Anybody got a large truck I can borrow?
Hehehe...
....but joking aside....that seems very, very...inefficient...to say the least. There could be revenue generated there (since this country doesn't much care for providing public schools with adequate funding ~ even enuff to just hobble along....) I mean, you know what's gonna happen there....eventually, somehow, some way...these are gonna end up in a huge sorta clearance...and the state/district/counties will recover almost nil of it. Whereas...if they had a system in place for auctioning off, they could be getting market-values on everything. That's just very sad, really....I mean, I understand the INTENT of the law (to keep #sholes like that tech from doing those sorta things)...but the resulting situation you describe makes very little sense to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to digress the thread. Good luck on acquiring the horn, ABC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can buy or keep that horn, you may have a lifetime keeper. Where in VA are you? All my family came from VA and that is where I started playing 50+ years ago.
In order to keep the internet monsters out of my closet, I'll use generalizations: I'm pretty much right between Richmond and Charlottesville, only a little farther north. If you make a triangle with those two and Fredericksburg, I'm squat in the middle.

Thanks for the input from everybody, and I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

To digress the tread even further, I never noticed the initials of my username were ABC :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
I currently play a '33 tranny- wonderful horn. If you need any service, call Steve Birckhead at Shen Valley Instrument repair in Harrisonburg. He does outstanding work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts