Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I’m a total newbie and Ive been looking around for my first tenor. Im currently looking to possibly buy a used Conn 16m tenor.
I came across one for sale for 699.99 plus shipping for what seems like a US made Conn 16m. The serial number is L01182, and from my limited research it seems it should be a 5 or 6 digit number. Does anyone know if this is correct and a good buy?
Thanks in advance !

Attachments

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,868 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Is what correct? Is that the correct serial number? Sure looks like it.
Is that a proper serial number for that horn? Sure looks like it.
According to the serial number list below, made in 1968.

Looks to be cosmetically in very nice shape.
If it is a good deal depends on how it plays too.

Conn Serial Number Chart :: SaxPics.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,678 Posts
Hi guys,
I’m a total newbie and Ive been looking around for my first tenor. Im currently looking to possibly buy a used Conn 16m tenor.
I came across one for sale for 699.99 plus shipping for what seems like a US made Conn 16m. The serial number is L01182, and from my limited research it seems it should be a 5 or 6 digit number. Does anyone know if this is correct and a good buy?
Thanks in advance !
Welcome to Sotw.
The 16 is a good horn. Was my first tenor as well. What’s important at $700 is the play condition. You’re paying upper full premium. At this price it should also include a decent case.
Many of these around to choose from with a big spread in price.
This appears to have been built after 1980 and is a USA model. Don’t make yourself crazy over the serial number.
lots of information on the 16m Director.https://www.saxontheweb.net/search/151928/?q=conn+16m+director&o=relevance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,678 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Is what correct? Is that the correct serial number? Sure looks like it.
Is that a proper serial number for that horn? Sure looks like it.
According to the serial number list below, made in 1968.

Looks to be cosmetically in very nice shape.
If it is a good deal depends on how it plays too.

Conn Serial Number Chart :: SaxPics.com
Those serial number charts make me crazy. But yeah could be as early as 68. Sometime after Mexico era.

·
Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
157 Posts
That price seems high to me for a horn that must be shipped to you unless coming from a very reliable source. It might need work just to recover from shipping. Forum member JayeLID has a great reputation and is a fan of 16Ms, so you might want to check his stock at Vintage Musical Instruments - Saxophones, Trumpets, Trombones, Cymbals, Drums - 2ndEnding.com.

I would have bought a 16M or Martin Indiana from him if I hadn't found a 1955 16M locally for $200 with pads falling out. With the $500 overhaul that followed, I have a $700 1st-year 16M. Not a steal for me or from me. But I live in an area where I can expect horns like that to appear on the local Craigslist from time to time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts