Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to this forum as of today.

I recently made the switch from alto saxophone to tenor saxophone, and i want to sell my alto, however i have no idea what a suitable price would be for this model.

It is a Conn 14M 1957 Shooting Star Alto Saxophone and in fact you can find the pictures of it here http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_conn.htm

Just scroll down to the Conn 14M Shooting Star s/n 712429 part and there are multiple pictures of the saxophone in great detail. It is in pristine condition, and i would really like a price check of this model.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort to help me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,351 Posts
About $400 in good playing shape, playing up and down w/ no leaks and no significant body damage. I just sold one recently...

Congrats, these are really solid horns. People hear "14M" and immediately assume Mexico-made (which, IMHO, are not bad horns, particularly by today's standards)....which is too bad for those people because they fail to realize the Director series horns made in USA are a different animal. Besides being well-built, they possess that classic Conn darkness to 'em.

No, not quite a 6M, because the body is a different design....but...not that far off from that sound, either.

You can nab on one eFlay, needing work, for around $200. The one I sold started as an auction and was up to over $350 with 3 days left when I made the sale through SOTW instead.

Enjoy the horn, they can give you years and years of good playing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Besides being well-built, they possess that classic Conn darkness to 'em.
Enjoy the horn, they can give you years and years of good playing.
That must be what I like so much about my 1958 Director Alto. It definitely has a different tone than anything I've played before and I've played a fair few horns that are quite a bit more modern and "brighter". When I take my horn out to play I am always amazed that it has lasted 2.3 times as long as I have lived and still plays so wonderfully.

If only we could set all those people straight about which horns truly deserve the bad rep and which ones don't. Unfortunately most people aren't willing to do any proper research. I used to wish for a shiny new sax. Now I don't. My worn Director Alto is all I need and all I want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts