Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My school has a rather poorly funded band program and we have few school instruments which includes one baritone saxophone, which is marked Conn 13m. I have a chance to purchase it from the school system for very cheap since it’s kind of a P.O.S. and it definitely is in the condition you would expect a school bari to be in. It would take a decent chunk of change to get it in a good playing condition, I know the 11m and 12m are very nice horns but I know very little about the 13m and the internet hasn’t helped much but, from what I’ve gathered they were Conns high pitch low a model bari, but this seems a bit redundant to me, since Conn already stamped there horns with High or Low pitch. If the h.p. thing is correct I don’t think I’ll buy it considering it’s limited use. Any info on this horn would be much appreciated, I’ve played it a little but it’s got leaks all over the place so I don’t have a great idea on what the tone sounds like.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
In the old days, up to the mid-1930s, say, Conn made both high pitch and low pitch saxophones. The high pitch ones got an odd model number; the low pitch ones got an even model number. After Conn stopped producing high pitch saxes, all the odd model numbers became redundant; from the 1970s onward Conn started re-using the redundant odd numbers for new low-pitch saxophone models, which had no connection whatever with the old HP models which had previously borne those numbers.

Many new models were introduced by Conn from 1986 to 2000, when the company was owned by the Swedish conglomerate UMI. One of them was a low-pitch low-A baritone sax, with model number 13M. This didn't last long on the books; but there are a few of them kicking around, nonetheless. They look nothing like the 11M low-A bari (which was really a modified 12M low-Bb bari); hence the different model number. Here's a link to one which was sold on Reverb.com recently; fortunately the full set of photographs is still up on the Reverb website:

https://reverb.com/au/item/2531938-conn-13m-baritone-saxophone-with-low-a

The serial number of this Reverb instrument tells us it was made by UMI in their Nogales, AZ, factory in 1998. To learn more about these UMI instruments from the late 1990s, read what SotW member Stocker (the expert on Conn saxophones from this era) has to say here:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?246151-Doubt-of-year-of-manufacturing-of-my-Conn-24M

It's impossible to say more here unless you provide us with photos of your school instrument, including close-ups of the serial number area, the left-hand little finger table and the keyguards on the bell and bow areas.

These late 1990s UMI instruments don't have much cachet in the snob world, but believe me they are solid, well-made instruments; their lack of reputation is a definite advantage, because that keeps the price down well below what it might be otherwise. If your school bari is another one of these, it would be well worth your while getting a quote from a repair technician for a full overhaul; if that quote is not going to break the bank, and if the school's price is low enough, then by all means buy the bari from the school !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,311 Posts
Sean,
Welcome to Sotw. Mike T gave you some good solid information. Run with it.
If you can’t afford the repairs now, buy it and wait until you can. Just have a good understanding of your total investment to the intended use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts