Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Carbs said:
Here is what he e-mailed me.

It came that way. My plan was to have it restored, but have not been able to put aside the thousands it would take to do the job right. Actually, for a horn its size, the dents are very minimal and very fixable. They in no way alter the way it plays, they';re just rather unsightly.

The main issue with the horn is the damage to the rolled tone holes…which again does not alter the way it plays, but does affect the originality of the instrument. And even those can be restored. But to make it a perfectly playable instrument it would just need to be adjusted, regulated, and probably replace a few pads.
You're going to have to put a LOT of work to get it even up to speed. If the tone holes are too filed, then it's a complete junk horn.

As far as the dents, considering the size of the horn, those ARE very significant dents that I would never touch. As someone said earlier, without a removable bell, it's almost impossible to fix. Dents, even minimal effect the way a horn plays A LOT....and those are some pretty huge dents.

Listen to us and say no. You'll regret buying it.

Edit: Looking at the photos again I noticed some other things. It's impossible to be sure since the photos suck though.

Photo 1: Does that neck looked pulled down to you?
Photo 2: That tone hole is pretty filed. Even if it is done well, it kills resale and probably playability too. Comaring it to my 6m and 10m with rolled toneholes..those just look WAY wrong. And mine are about the same age as that bari. 1934 and 1935 respectively.
Photo 3: That lacquer color looks SO wrong. Relac?
Photo 9: Those dents are huge. And right below the right thumb rest? Near impossible to reach.
Photo 10: Again, tone holes are trashed.
Photo 11: Is that nickel keywork? I thought all 30's conns came with the same color keywork and body finish? I might be wrong there though.

The price of an overhaul, MAJOR dent work, possibly (and most likely judging by all the hits the horn has taken) straightening the body, and straightening the neck will cost you probably close to $1500 or probably more for a possible relacquered, beat up, tone hole destroyed 12m. Don't do it.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I will send the e-mail saying no. I wont find a Bari for what I was going to pay. Well I might. I guess I should start searching E-bay again. :(
Right now I have no idea what I will end up doing.
Considering my three options.
1) Save my money
2) Soprano
3) Bari.

Bari would be a fun horn to play, espicially most of the music we play in my church orchestra. Which sometimes includes some Funk. I don't know.
Thanks.
If you have a Bari Sax for $700 including shipping. Give me a call ;)
~Carbs

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Carbs...aren't you looking for an alto? Focus on that before a soprano or bari..the alto will get way more use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Carbs said:
[...]If you have a Bari Sax for $700 including shipping. Give me a call ;)
~Carbs
I don't, but LBAjazz does.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks,
I talked to my parents the other day, and I agreed with them, that spending more money on an Alto would make almost no since. My YAS-23 is a pretty good horn for how much I use it. And I have no idea what I want to do in college. If I decide to major in music my Tenor will probably suit what I need.
Right now, the Bari would get more use than a Soprano in the music that I usually play in church. Funk/rock. Mix that in with my Alto and it could be pretty fun.
Thanks I will send LBAjazz an PM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
If the price was cheap enough I might consider putting the money into that horn. Figure three hundred for the horn and then another seven hundred or more to make it right. Not that I need fourth bari.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
:) it was $700 for the Bari. I just got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and after talking with you's guys decided against it. Hopefully the Bari that Little sax pointed out will work out. Who knows.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts