Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a vintage conn transitional 12m bari from the eskimo. body, bow and bell are rose brass. horn has been relacquered but looks good. i've heard a lot of good things about these horns. can't wait to blow it. haven't played bari in years. it was a CHOICE BETWEEN THIS AND A NEW YBS -52.
think i did the right thing?? should be here in a week or so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will report as soon as i get it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
I was watching that horn too. I don't think that was really "rose brass". It is far more likely that more of the copper content of the brass has come "through" as a result of heat damage or severe buffing. That doesn't mean that the horn won't be a player though...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Yes. In good working order a tranny 12m will run circles around a YBS-52, or just about any other bari for that matter.

You can always opt for a restoration and replate down the road when funding (and time) is available to do so. I bought my '27 Chu bari in 1990, played it for 12 years and then sent it to VintageSax for restoration in 2002. It was a great horn in pre-restoration condition, it is an unbelievably great horn in post-restoration.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
my tranny style 12m 233xxx has just been given over to Les Arbuckle to do his magic. its not a pretty horn but its gonna be my dream bari when he gets done. Les is da man when it comes to conns. He's Conngruent!!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
received the bari from the eskimo. horn had some damage due to the shippers. the top neck was squashed, high e key tone bent, along with the neck receiver bent out of round. quinn took care of the repair charges right away. definitely would recommend.can't wait for it to get out of the shop.still haven't blown it. can't wait.............argh.....

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I've got mine and it is a dream player. Just beautiful rich tone. I love the bari for playing pretty and this is a ballad players dream. Les is great and very highly recommended for Conns (buying and repairing) in particular. He is VERY carerful in doing baris and he got it right here.:) :D :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wel, i finally got my bari back from the shop.$ 200 worth of damage. Quinn the Eskimo took care of me right away . tech did a good job restoring pigtail and tone hole.

played the horn all day yesterday and today. man, what a sound. big, fat, lush bari sound !! had to ventilate the high A better and set a few other key heights to fine tune intonation and now it really smokes.

I am using a jody jazz classic mouthpiece and played the horn for about an hour and loved the pure deep sound. wasn't sure if i would like the spoiler ( i don't on alto or tenor). the core sound remained the same but the sound boost was huge. projection was increased along with tonal quality. Really love the sound.

I don't know how to finger any bari altissimo. this horn has no fork F or an F# key. tried adding B flat key to F fingering for an F # no luck. I've blown some harmonic notes including F4 (LH 1, octave , just fingered that to see what it would blow) but have no idea of the other fingerings.
any bari altissimo charts for no fork F horns ?

·
1,612 Posts
saxxsymbol said:
[...]any bari altissimo charts for no fork F horns ?
Try fingering A2 and curling your left ring or pinky finger and hit the palm F key. Once you get that (F3) try adding either:
1) the side Bb key or
2) the lower-stack F and Eb keys
to get F#3. If you get that to speak well, then try removing your left hand C key (middle finger) but keep the Bis Bb key depressed for G3.

My Tranny 12M doesn't have a Front F either and these fingering work for me.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will try those tomorrow. thanks. did i say i really love the sound of this horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
Mine is 243,000 and has completely satisfied me for the past 10 years.

Well, I would like to have a front F added, sometime..

Mpc is an older Lamberson 8DD

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
littlesax. thanks for the F#3 fingering. the side B flat works perfectly.forgot about pressing the bis key for G3 when lifting the C key. will try that today. what about any other altissimo fingerings. palm key notes and harmonics are very easy on this horn.i can pop out some high notes just by overblowing normal fingerings but it jumps too high, into the fourth octave. maybe because i usually play alto and tenor, or my reed is to hard? the low notes seem to speak okay, but i can't play them soft.i am also struggling with the jump from G-C to middle D. about a third of the time a harmonic wil pop out. only happens on D or D# not E or F.
I would also like a fingering for A3 if you know one.

I think i will try a softer reed.

·
1,612 Posts
saxxsymbol said:
littlesax. thanks for the F#3 fingering. the side B flat works perfectly.forgot about pressing the bis key for G3 when lifting the C key. will try that today. what about any other altissimo fingerings. palm key notes and harmonics are very easy on this horn.i can pop out some high notes just by overblowing normal fingerings but it jumps too high, into the fourth octave. maybe because i usually play alto and tenor, or my reed is to hard? the low notes seem to speak okay, but i can't play them soft.i am also struggling with the jump from G-C to middle D. about a third of the time a harmonic wil pop out. only happens on D or D# not E or F.
I would also like a fingering for A3 if you know one.

I think i will try a softer reed.
While you're getting use to the break between G1-C2 and D2, on some passages the palm key D without the octave key should be sufficient. I use it from time to time and no-one seems to notice. (I have to lip-up a little bit, but not much.)

I've really not done much in terms of altissimo. I wanted to make sure I could get to G3 when I got my horn, and I've given you the fingerings that worked best for me. Perhaps other people can suggest notes further up the scale.

Glad to hear the horn is working out so well for you!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
littlesax thanks for your time and suggestions. i will keep working on that break. thanks for the fingerings too. I really like the sound of the bari . it is huge and resonant with a sweet upper register.

·
1,612 Posts
saxxsymbol said:
littlesax thanks for your time and suggestions. i will keep working on that break. thanks for the fingerings too. I really like the sound of the bari . it is huge and resonant with a sweet upper register.
No problem; I'm glad I could be of some help. These 12Ms are really something else. :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got to play the bari in big band today. i was blown away at the sound and response of this horn. i've never played the bari part in a jazz band before and really enjoyed it!!! the usual bari player who plays a 62 really dug the sound and so did the lead tenor.they wanted to know what the mouthpiece set up was. wouldn't matter with this horn. i really think the low A horns have lost some of the bottom on the low notes. the much larger bell on these horns givers it a bigger, fatter sound.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bari update. really love this horn. gotten used to the break to middle D and it's no problem anymore. I will be playing this horn in a 7 piece blues band on october 5 th here in sebring for the annual " run to the heartland" weekend event.can't wait.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts