Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know for sure but the Allied catalog Conn list has the L prefix as 1968. That seems about right looking at your pictures. My experience with this vintage 12M has been very positive. But... I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will have more or better info. I should add, this is not the "glory years" but strong nonetheless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else going to weigh in?

Alright, I admit, this is a pretty lame posting to want to add to considering the number of replys; but are there any Conn-enthusiast sites around? Any good ones?

It looks like there have been more then a few eras that Conn made a model called 12M.

The previous posting there was a mention of an Allied Catalog? Does anyone know of an electronic copy?

I found on a website that the "L" prefix on the serial Identifies it as 1968 but the serial number begins at the serial: L 20,454 / 1968. I was under the assumption that the L meant low pitch.

any more info would be appreciated

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think the L means "low pitch." I used to own a 1935 12M, serial number M270xxx. Conn's been making 12Ms forever.

There are those who suggest there's no such thing as a bad 12M - supposedly, even the more cheaply made ones from Mexico are very good players when set up right. I've not tried out anything more recent than about a 1960-ish 12M. That horn was in need of a full repad, and it still sounded pretty decent.

1968 sounds about right to me. Note the nickel keywork with gold lacquer, which seemed to be a common look during the very late 50s and into the 60s. I had a 1967 The Martin baritone with the same finish and it was a tremendous player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts