Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I was on my way back from a business trip and decided to stop at a local Sam Ash music, just to browse. My attention was immediately drawn to a Conn 11m that was laying on the counter. It was labeled as a 12m, but I knew that it wasn't.

The salesman let me borrow a mouthpiece (some crappy mouthpiece) and gave me a reed and strap test it out. The lower register sounded pretty good, but it didn't seem to have as much grunt as my 12m, but it could have been that it needed some adjustment. The upper register spoke very well, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I am with my 12m or my Couf Superba II.

I didn't buy it, but I was curious as to whether those who have played an 11m, to see what has been your experience with them? I know they are rare, so I don't know much about them.

BTW - they wanted $995 for it...here's a quick picture that I took

Musical instrument Product Brass instrument Wind instrument Building

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The 11M is a great bari, particularly for anyone who has and likes a 12M. I've got one of each and the 11M is louder and meatier than the 12M. Your opposite experience with the 11M can be due to any of three causes: 1. wrong mouthpiece; 2. soft pads; and 3. leaks.

Go back to the store with your own mouthpiece and try it out.

Have a good look at the 11M's pads. How do they differ from your 12M's ones? Resonators or not ?

Check it out carefully for possible work needed. I don't know whether Sam Ash can be bargained down, but offer them $800 on the grounds that you'll need to spend that much to refurbish it, and see what the response is.

Even if the response is negative, you should consider buying it. $995 is not a bad price for a low-A bari: even if you need to spend the same amount again getting it fixed up, you won't lose by it. I mean, a Conn 11M in full working order for less than $2,000 ? It's copacetic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I *love* my 11M, even having never overhauled it after my original eBay purchase! I recently had a director in the pit I was in ask if I had a "hemi in that thing." 😁
If the one at Sam Ash didn't knock your socks off, there's something wrong with it! And $995 is a great price!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 11M is a great bari, particularly for anyone who has and likes a 12M. I've got one of each and the 11M is louder and meatier than the 12M. Your opposite experience with the 11M can be due to any of three causes: 1. wrong mouthpiece; 2. soft pads; and 3. leaks.

Go back to the store with your own mouthpiece and try it out.

Have a good look at the 11M's pads. How do they differ from your 12M's ones? Resonators or not ?

Check it out carefully for possible work needed. I don't know whether Sam Ash can be bargained down, but offer them $800 on the grounds that you'll need to spend that much to refurbish it, and see what the response is.

Even if the response is negative, you should consider buying it. $995 is not a bad price for a low-A bari: even if you need to spend the same amount again getting it fixed up, you won't lose by it. I mean, a Conn 11M in full working order for less than $2,000 ? It's copacetic.
Yeah, my first inclination was to just offer like $800 or $850 and see if they would take it, but I was unsure because a few of the notes weren't speaking well and I didn't have my mouthpiece.

The store is 3 hours away from me, but I may give the sales guy a call and see if it's still available and maybe ride down there and try it out with my own setup.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *love* my 11M, even having never overhauled it after my original eBay purchase! I recently had a director in the pit I was in ask if I had a "hemi in that thing." 😁
If the one at Sam Ash didn't knock your socks off, there's something wrong with it! And $995 is a great price!
The sales rep told me it just came back from the shop, so it could have been the crap mouthpiece he let me borrow or the horn may have still needed adjustment. The pads looked pretty good to me. If I can make it back there and it's still there, I'll try it again with my mouthpiece

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know it's been a couple years but I'd love to hear whatever became of this if you ever tried it again. I had a similar experience playing an 11m after finding I really like how 12ms played. Knowing how your experience changed (or didn't) after a tune-up and proper mouthpiece match would be very informative!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's been a couple years but I'd love to hear whatever became of this if you ever tried it again. I had a similar experience playing an 11m after finding I really like how 12ms played. Knowing how your experience changed (or didn't) after a tune-up and proper mouthpiece match would be very informative!
I went back to try it out and bought it. It required a few minor adjustments by my tech, but it is playing very well now. You don't see these that often. My tech called it a 12M Low A. He said 11M wasn't official

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
All an 11M is is a 12M with a bell extension, really (and the add'l Low A key). Every other aspect of the horn is identical to a 12M.

The only thing I have heard from some folks, enough folks to think perhaps it is a particular attribute...is that altissimo is a bit more harder to urge out of an 11M. There's a thread on that here, somewhere....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
871 Posts
It really should be a "13 M" I wonder why they didn't call it that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.