Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an old saxophone from a guy at work and i want to see what it is worth, the engraving was pretty hard to read, but i managed to get some info from it.

Patd. Dec 8, 1914
C
L

from what ive read it is a concert saxophone with a low pitch

i dont really know anything about it at all or any other saxophone, any info or help would be greatly appreciated and it seems that a lot of you know youre stuff pretty well. thanks!

I can send some pictures if it would help.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
That is an early (1921/22) era Conn New Wonder Series I C-Melody. The first, patent number is for the William Haynes Drawn Tone Hole process, the "C" is Conn's catalog symbol for C-Melody, the 78xxx # is the serial number, and the "L" stands for Low Pitch.

Since it is a Tenor in C, monetary and practical worth is on the low side. Generally, most saxophonists today prefer the New Wonder Series II (nicknamed "Chu Berry" after the famed Tenorman of the 1930's Leon "Chu or Chew" Berry) among that model series too.

Cheers, and welcome to the forums.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Price would depend on the finish and condition (obviously a Silver plate in fine condition, elaborate "artist" engraving etc. would add value), but as I mentioned these are not tremendously desired and regularly come up on Ebay, Craigslist, Shopgoodwill etc. for around a couple of hundred MAX for fine condition examples.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It looks like it's in fair to pretty good condition based on your pictures. They're nice horns, but c-melodies are short of the black-sheep of the saxophone world. You'll see dealers try and sell them for hundred and hundred of dollars, but in reality, you're looking at a horn which might go for a couple hundred.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If you wanted to sell it right now, I would say $100, would be a decent idea depending on playing condition. If it plays very well, and you can shine it up. Then I would say maybe up to $400. My estimate may be alittle high. Nice horn though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Straight neck , micro-tuner and silverplate will help with value around $250 on a good day up to $350 if the bidding is good but closer to $200
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts