Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i have a chance to get a 1949 conn 10m serial-335449
it has been relacqured but the engraving and the lady is still as beautiful as the day she was put on the shelf.
the relacquer is keeping the price down to $1500
is this still a great fantastic lady or has the relacquer ruined it?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
The only way a relacquer will damage a horn is if, and only if 1) to much has been taking away during the buffing, or 2) if the tone holes were damaged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well no none of that was done at all
this horn is in great shape
its just like the day to came off the line in 1949

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
It's your call. If you want to resell it eventually, most buyers are going to want the original laquer. If you're buying it to play, do it. I've had both but the finish was not a consideration when I boiught them, it just happened that way. And both were great sounding horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,492 Posts
gsmsax1011 said:
the relacquer is keeping the price down to $1500...
Still, that's quite a bit for a 10M relacquer without rolled tone holes. Is it from a dealer and set up to play right from the get go, with guarantees? That's the only way I'd pay that much; assuming of course I played the horn first and found it was for me. Well... actually, I'd still try to get the price down.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Seldom do Grumps and I agree,but yes,that is pretty steep. For that amount you should expect perfection,no excuses. And a guarantee. $1500 should buy alot of horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I saw it on Junkdude site. Looks very good to me and IMHO is priced fairly (from a dealer).

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a much later Conn 10M (1961), and it is a beast of a horn in every sense of the word. Mine is missing most of it's lacquer, doesn't have the rolled tone holes, and the neck is a little bumpy. I think that including mouthpieces and the repairs I had done when I got it, I've got around $700 into the horn.

She may be ugly, but she is hands down the finest tenor I have ever played. A HUGE magnificent, dark, sound. Mmmmm, everything about it is just Jazz and Rock horn. The action is very quick, most of the keywork is great, although the spatulas leave a bit to be desired. My lesson teacher played it, and I bet you I could have sold it to him on the spot.

I'd offer him $1250-$1300 for it. $1500 seems a bit steep to me, but I've heard good things about JunkDude.

These are killer horns. Anticipate mouthpiece issues, though. Mine was exceptionally finicky. Some would play very sharp, others very flat. In general, the bigger chamber you can find, the better, but still experiment. I've heard of players extending the necks some, as many mouthpieces have to be pulled out to the very edge to play in tune.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Dave Hoskins/Junkdude is one of my favorite dealers, and as I have said many times before, some of my all time favorite horns have been purchased and worked on by him.

Having said that, I must agree that $1,500.00 for a post rolled tone hole (and most importantly) re-lacquered horn is a bit steep.

I neither care too much for rolled tone holes, and a well done re-lacquer shouldn't be critical for a "players" horn, but it SHOULD lower the price paid just the same.

$1,200 to $1,300 or so is in the right ball park in my estimation too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello folks,
I'm new to this site and need some help. I have a 1939 Conn 10M rolled tone holes ladyface tenor saxophone. Approx. 50% laquer left. Who is qualified to restore such a beauty?

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Morty941 said:
Hello folks,
I'm new to this site and need some help. I have a 1939 Conn 10M rolled tone holes ladyface tenor saxophone. Approx. 50% laquer left. Who is qualified to restore such a beauty?
There are a number of great techs who do this sort of work to a high standard (many are also members of this board).

I'd recommend Steve "Sarge" Stransky of Worldwidesax.com and Randy Jones of Tenormadness.com as two fine examples to start with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
rispoli said:
I saw it on Junkdude site. Looks very good to me and IMHO is priced fairly (from a dealer).

Gotta say, the horn you're mentioning was my horn originally. I was the second owner, thats a factory relac from the 60s, then the horn really wasnt touched much afterwards

GREAT player, but I'm not a an of how the Conns feel in my hands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts