Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I purchased a 1945 silverplated 10m it has RTH's and all the other good stuff that the pre war ones had. I had the chance to compare my new 10m to my other two tenors. A Ref. 54 and a 120xxx Mk.VI. I have to say that the conn absolutely blew the selmers out of the water. It has that big fat tone that the selmers cant even compare too. With the ergonomics on the conn i couldn't believe how quick it was it could keep up with both the selmers. I think i have really found the best horn for me. The mk.VI is a close 2nd, but it just doesnt compare for tone. So my question is are there any other players that have made the switch from their mk.VI's to Conn's?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm sure plenty of folk have made that Selmer to Conn journey, but I went the other way. In fact from a 271xxx 10M to a 35xxx SBA. I'd played Mk VI alto and bari for years but fancied a change when I got a tenor; I was keen to explore that big american sound they're supposed to have. Kept the Conn for a year or so and gave it quite a fair trial, but somehow I never felt very connected to what the instrument was doing. The ergonomics were fine, it was more to do with response and intonation. Also the sound, I have to admit, didn't actually knock me out -- in a direct comparison with a bunch of Selmers it sounded big, sure, (whatever that means) but also rather glassy and characterless. But I'm glad if other people have the opposite opinion, things would be pretty dull if we all agreed with each other.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
I've made the journey both ways- tenor-wise, a 10M to an SBA (still kicking myself...) and I'd have no problem going back except for my Super 20. Alto-wise, a Mk. VI to a 6M and happily so, TSTL. (that's her in my avatar)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i move back and forth between my two VI altos and my 6m. All 3 are great for different things, but that conn sound to me it's just huge and the VI's cant beat it. Occasionaly I will switch back and forth between my 10m and VI tenor but usually im on the 10m.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Thanks God we all like different things in life!

I'd like to comment on what Amg said: "But I'm glad if other people have the opposite opinion, things would be pretty dull if we all agreed with each other."

That is so true, as reflected in the following article:

Beauty, indeed, is in the eyes of the beholder!
The Jakarta Post
Sunday, 28 October 2006
LIFEBITES

As my friend and I sipped our coffees oneSunday afternoon at Plaza Indonesia, he asked, "Don't you think that many of the Indonesian women that white foreigners (buleh) go out with or marry are so unattractive?"

"Not necessarily so," I replied.

Beauty, like many things in life, is bound by the rule of relativity. In other words, what one man considers beautiful is ugly in the eyes of another.

Being an Indonesian himself, my friend's view of a beautiful woman is that of a fair-skinned one, who has the look of a financially independent, educated, and classy lady.

Thus, in his eyes, an Indonesian woman with a dark complexion is not beautiful.

While my friend is entitled to his opinion of what is a beautiful woman and what is not, I don't find anything wrong with foreign (white) men being attracted to dark-skinned Indonesian women.

For an Asian man like my friend, these women surely look like maids.

In most Asian societies, a dark complexion is the symbol of peasantry, hard labor, and life in a rural area. By contrast, a fair complexion is the symbol of high-society status, leisure, and life a cosmopolitan city.

To a western man, however, a dark-skinned woman is beautiful.

For one thing, this is because opposites attract. Ethnically speaking, western peoples are white by default. So, it is understandable that a western man finds a dark-skinned Indonesian woman "exotic", or a white woman finds a black man attractive—if not sexy.

Furthermore, a dark complexion now is considered a sign of leisure, or class, in most western societies, particularly in America.

Before the Industrial Revolution and many technological inventions thereafter, farming in the West required hard labor and long hours in the sun. Thus, a westerner with a dark complexion would be looked upon as a farmer.

Today, however, farming in the West is done with machines. Therefore, even white farmers don't get a dark complexion.

As a matter of fact, many westerners with a fair complexion now have to work hard to get a dark one. They spend hours in the sun or spas to get a tan.

This is, of course, not something that a laborer or farmer has time or money for.

It is no wonder, then, that white westerners desire a dark complexion or are attracted to others who have one.

As I left my friend after our meeting, I passed by a few white men walking around Plaza Indonesia with chocolate-skinned Indonesian women and couldn't help thinking of what my friend had said about beauty.

Looking at these women, I could see why my friend would consider them unattractive.

But, the men they were with could not have looked happier; perhaps, they found in these women the beauty they had been seeing in fashion shows or magazines in their respective countries.

As for me, I was—and still am—just glad that we all have a different taste for different things in life.

Indeed, the world would be a horrible place to live if we all liked or disliked the same things, wouldn't it?

Fortunately, the world is not like that, thanks to relativity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts