Sax on the Web Forum banner

I just purchased a Conn 10M silver saxophone with a serial number 979xxx. It does not have the lady

• Transitional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Factory custom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Last Lady

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Conn 10m tenor sax which plays fantastic. The serial number is 979xxx which does not show up in any charts. The body is like a lady face but it has the under slung octave and the artist not lady on the bell. Notice the wire guards, bell brace, small pearls including thumb rest. It is silver and gold. I have had early RTH 6Ms, Chu Berry tenor and late 1960’s non wire guard 10m and 6m’s. It’s action is fast like early M ladies. Tone is right on and bold when pushed just like the good Conns. The owner could tell me very little on the history. Any thoughts on this one off special saxophone.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
That serial number dates to 1962. It's NOT what is normally called a "transitional" 10M. Nor is it a "custom" or a "one-off special." It's just what Conn were turning out as their bog-standard 10M in that year. IIRC, Conn stopped putting the Ladyface on their bells in 1960. But that's just cosmetic: Conn were still making fine instruments then, and I've no doubt that it's a hell of a tenor ! Congratulations on your purchase !

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Sure. Neck is from a fairly new 10M, as 10Ms go.

So is the engraving. Very nice looking.

Reminds me of a Borodi restoration...

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
That's got to be one of the very last silver plated Conns made. By that time most were brass with nickel plate keys. I'd guess it was a special order. Military bands appear to have used silver plate horns a lot, but this one doesn't seem to have the extra engraving typical of those (usually "U.S." or "USQMC"). Could have been ordered (as one of a batch) for a university marching band, if not a military band. The plating looks totally factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the info. I am still not sure why the serial number does not show up in any chart.
I collected and repaired saxophones before I retired, but still play. I kept a King triple neck strap, double socket alto and tenor because they had the exact same serial number which I thought did not exist. I tried to find out more info years ago but never heard back. Glad to get some response on the Conn.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,151 Posts
That's got to be one of the very last silver plated Conns made. By that time most were brass with nickel plate keys. I'd guess it was a special order. Military bands appear to have used silver plate horns a lot, but this one doesn't seem to have the extra engraving typical of those (usually "U.S." or "USQMC"). Could have been ordered (as one of a batch) for a university marching band, if not a military band. The plating looks totally factory.
My 1957/8 10M is one with the nickel keys and brass body. I like the looks of this one better. No complaints about how mine plays. Solid old horn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks but the number of mine is 979,xxx in 1962 it goes up to 949,xxx. Mine is the same model made in 1962. In 1977 it is xx,xxx one digit short.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I am still not sure why the serial number does not show up in any chart.
I collected and repaired saxophones before I retired, but still play. I kept a King triple neck strap, double socket alto and tenor because they had the exact same serial number which I thought did not exist. I tried to find out more info years ago but never heard back. Glad to get some response on the Conn.
If you scroll down on this list the serials go to 946465, that gets you to 1962.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,262 Posts
Mark Overton at saxquest has a lot of old Conn information. He mat have some idea about this horn. I'm curious what you find. It is a late 10M, for sure. Interesting to see it in silver plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts