Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
Happy New Year to everyone.
After looking at SOTW for ages I have finally taken the plunge and joined so hello to everyone.
First and foremost, thanks to all the contributors for a great forum, I have really enjoyed reading all the different articles.

I am completely repadding my 1956 straight tone holed Conn 10M and I would like to get everybodys opinion on what pads they would like to see in a 1956 Conn 10M. For instance, would you go for Conn-Reso-Pads because they are "Conn" or flat metal resonators because of the tone, or plain rivet pads because they were original to this model and year, or Roo pads, or any other type of pad. I would love to hear from you with your personal favourite and why (especially the why).

Thanks in advance, all the best

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
Willie Garnett who works out of Ritz Music Shop in Putney, and a conn repairer, could give you some good advice.
PS. Welcome to posting on the forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Flat metal reso's were used on these NOT Reso-Ring---these were exclusively for RTH models. Send for a set from Music Medic-- I use their 'Precision' pads and it works out cheaper than buying in UK. Best to measure each cup first with digital calipers--Maplins 8quid!!---rather than rely on pre-packaged set.
Roo pads look very nice and wear well, the black ones are harder than the white IMO. Tone holes need to be very level with 'Roo's as they are less 'forgiving' than standard tan pads when seating.
Nice horns these '50's 10M's Dont unscrew the locking screws all the way BTW when removing pivot screws--just thought I'd mention that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Hamish, thanks for the advice, but given a choice, what would you choose? I am interested in all opinions because I know that no two peoples choice of music is the same, and that even if people like the same music they might choose different pads. All the best

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Use ordinary dome plastic resonators. Then you don't face the possibility of a rust issue.

And then focus on the other aspects of what you are doing, which are a zillion times more important than the type of resonator.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Gordon, you're not suggesting he solder in Buescher snaps? :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I have it on quite good authority that quite a few different models of pad are sold as "premium delux". The world of pads is far more complicated than most people realise.

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
Hello Hamish, thanks for the advice, but given a choice, what would you choose? I am interested in all opinions because I know that no two peoples choice of music is the same, and that even if people like the same music they might choose different pads. All the best
I have heard of W. Garnett being recommended by people like the MP Refacer M.Fry, also Bopity (Mark) who runs his own repair business. This place is a great well of advice and knowledge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
I'd first choose a competent Sax Doc who knows the matter, different pads work well on the CONN but not every Tech works well on an instrument.

Then let him take the pads which "seal" best and if possible choose oversized flat metal resonators. I had them in one of mine former NWIs and it was superb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts