Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been looking into buy a Conn 10M and I was considering buying a 1965, however, I have read in some forums that these are low quality horns and since I am not familiar with these horns I want to get some advice from the experts.

I appreciate if you can give me your opinion on this.

Thanks and best regards!

·
Registered
694 Posts
There are previous threads here on this forum on this same subject, do a search in the archives for some good information.
To summarize, they can be a good to great player, have a big sound, but are student like in looks due to nickle plated keys.
Some players claim the late model 10m plays better than the pre-war 10m, and are not as mouthpiece fussy and some players claim the pre-war horns are superior.
Do some research and play one or as many as you can to make your own right decision.
I had one, a 1960 model, it played well and I really liked it, but not quite as much as my Martin Tenor.
Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
I just got a 1950 10m. Great horn, but I think it may come down to the individual horn rather than the particular vintage just like with any manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just got a 1950 10m. Great horn, but I think it may come down to the individual horn rather than the particular vintage just like with any manufacturer.
+1

And the set up. A properly set up Conn always seems to work for me. Great horns.

I’ve got a 52 10M. Just got it adjusted yesterday, and I’m loving it.

Go for it if the price and set up are right for ya.

Good luck!

·
Banned
566 Posts
a 1965 and a 1950-52 are quite different 10M's,given that the later ones have a double socket neck and are way,way cheaper.
i have had a couple of these late model 10M's and they are good players,and the positive thing about them is that they are usually under $800!
when buying these double socket neck 10M's,check the neck very carefully,as they "seem" to be more susceptible to damage.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
a 1965 and a 1950-52 are quite different 10M's,given that the later ones have a double socket neck and are way,way cheaper.
i have had a couple of these late model 10M's and they are good players,and the positive thing about them is that they are usually under $800!
when buying these double socket neck 10M's,check the neck very carefully,as they "seem" to be more susceptible to damage.
Same body tube on all 10M models I believe. After that it’s the quality of the specific example and the set up.

Try a 16M also. Same body tube...10M sound at an even lower cost than a late 10M. Do a search for more info on the 16M.

Depends what your goals are though of course....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts