Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
All three are good, but I'd pick the 10M because: 1) good intonation with the right mouthpiece; 2) classic jazz tone; 3) from my experience, techs prefer to work on the 10M over the other two; 4) resale value

·
Registered
Antigua Winds: SS 3159 Curved Soprano , Pro One Alto & Tenor w/Cryo Necks, BS 3220 low A Baritone
68 Posts
What "Art Salt" said, the 10M is the way to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
I play a 1939 Aristo and it blows away all the 10ms or Martins I have played and is 2/3 the cost......just my 2 cents

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
ilikesax said:
now i have to choose between aristocrat and 10m :D
There's a big difference between an early model 10M and a later one; the earlier ones being far superior. Same for the Aristocrat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
The best 10M's came with rolled tone holes, which ended at around the 310,000 serial number range (and for those in the know, please feel free to set forth the precise number). The last of the great Aristocrats ended with the Big B's (a big letter B on the bell) at around 355,000. The horns made just after those points in time are still decent horns, but that's when the decline began.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I owned a 42 conn 10m tenor, 49 buescher aristocrat 156 tenor, and just got a 55 martin indiana alto - I like the sound of the Martin but the keywork of the Buescher (and overall intonation and durability.) the 10m was good, huge sound but it had flat metal resos and ended up being too bright for me (should have gotten regular pads.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts