Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Conn 10M that I am trying to sell on craigslist. I received an email with an offer that seems suspicious but I can't figure out how the scam would work and don't want to pass up the offer if it's legit. Here's what was sent to me..

Thanks for the respond ,I want you to know that i am so serious in
buying your craigslist item,and i will not be able to come for the
pickup ,I will be glad if you can be so nice to help me ship it down
to my daughter for an Birthday gift,So i am ready to pay you
$150.00USD for the shipping cost for you to get the item ship out,and
you will get the item ship out Via USPS
Express Mail(4-8)days Service and i will prefer paying you via
paypal,cos it is very fast and secure,so get back to me with your
paypal confirmed email address for the instant payment if you don't
have paypal account,you can sign up at www.paypal.com for a paypal
personal account so get back to me with it. Thanks.

Any thoughts or experience on how they could scam me through having my Paypal address or if they actually send me money with Paypal. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,881 Posts
Personally I wouldn't deal with anyone over craigslist who can't come pick up the item and pay in cash.

If you want to pursue this, I'd tell him that you will put it on ebay and have him bid on it and end the auction early.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know exactly how it works, but I have had the same scam tried on me several times for different equipment. If he wants it, he can figure a way to get to you. Sorry, I know it's hard to turn down what you think is a sale, but it's a scam.
Good luck selling it to a real buyer.
stanB

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
I do agree that it does not feel right. Maybe it is just the poor English that was used.

I like you would question this one. But, I can't imagine the problem if you send your Paypal address only. If you get payment and clearance from Paypal to ship... let it go.

Not certain... logical side of me says sure... skeptic side says hmmmmm

Why don't you just Ebay it?

Anyone familiar how this works if it is a scam? I would like to know for my own sake.

HUTMO

·
Registered
887 Posts
$150 is too much for shipping; it could be the overpayment scam, though I don't know how that would work via paypal. It could be there just to get you interested in the exchange, then circumstances change and he doesn't want to do paypal. The fact that he wants it shipped to a 3rd party is another red flag.
If this guy is serious, and is willing to go out his way for your horn, you could take it as a sign you've asked too little for it, though I don't know what you're asking for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
"serious in buying your craigslist item . . ."

"Craiglist item" = huge red flag. Move along, nothing good to see here.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I really don't know why people mess about with Craigslist, full of scams and BS, just use eBay, much safer and without to much BS.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
I really don't know why people mess about with Craigslist, full of scams and BS, just use eBay, much safer and without to much BS.
It's OK if you use it ONLY for local buyers.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,620 Posts
I guess you have your answer by now, but I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. This guy didn't even refer to the sax you have for sale!

Here's a sure RED FLAG: Anytime anyone offers you something that is either too good to be true or more money (supposedly for you!) than is warranted, it's a sure scam. In this case he's offering to pay the shipping AND to pay more than what the shipping would probably be. That's two red flags right there (not to mention the other red flags in this exchange). Don't fall for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Last year I was selling a CRT projector on Craigslist and I received the same scam offer (several times) with the same $150 shipping offer. Sometimes it was for a daughter or son and sometimes it was for the pastor of a church. It was always for someone out-of-state or from someone claiming to be traveling abroad at the moment.

Just ignore them as they're ignoring the details of your listing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
I have received a variation of this one - a short e-mail asking if the item is still available (which could be legitimate), so I respond yes, then a second e-mail similar to this one that just refers to the "item" and does not say anything specific about it, has some reason why they can't look at the thing in person, offers to arrange for shipping, and asks for photos and bottom line price. I like to ask them some sort of question that would be reasonable to ask a real buyer, and they either disappear or come back with something totally bizarre. I use Craigslist only for local sales, mostly because I don't like to deal with shipping things, but also for big things like boats.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
"serious in buying your craigslist item . . ."

"Craiglist item" = huge red flag. Move along, nothing good to see here.
Exactly !...whenever I get one of those...I always respond: "which ITEM particularly are you referring to ? I happen to have a number of ads up currently......"

For some reason...I never hear from them again.....gosh......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts