Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 10M from 1945 with RTHs and all that good stuff. However I have a small problem with the neck. The horn was originally satin silver plate, and before I purchased it the horn was plated gold over the silver. The neck was also plated, even on the connecting section. The other thing i notice is that the connecter is fatter/larger at right at the base of the neck and tapers as it reaches the end. What happens is while I play, the neck slowly forces its way up out of the horn bit by bit. Not to the point that it falls out, but certainly enough to cause a change in tuning.

Im wondering if the neck was damaged and had a new connecting piece soldered on, if the gold plate enlarged it to the point it doesnt fit as well, or something else. Any ideas on a way to fix it, or should I go and start looking to get a new neck ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Shawn,

Sorry no one has replied to your post yet. As you know, I don't have a lot of experience with 10Ms, but before you go dropping big $$ on a new custom 10M neck I'd take it to a good repair tech and have him look at it. He might be able to strip the extraneous plating or re-shape the connecting socket on your neck.

Have you talked to Dave at Junkdude about it? If there's a problem with the neck in the condition that he sold it to you he's morally obligated to help find a solution, and knowing Dave he'll do what he can. If it comes to it, he might be able to even help you find another random 10M neck.

Good luck!

-Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts