Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was trolling through Ebay one morning and there was a listing for '2 old flutes', buy it now for $60. One was a defeated old Armstrong 104. One was a Haynes. I paid the $60 immediately.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,879 Posts
The guy is very happy that he is making more money on a gift and yes I do feel good that I was able to help him and not screw him over.
Well maybe you're backing the wrong horse here. Shouldn't he go back to the folks that gave him the overly buffed, falling apart horn and tell them it's worth a grand? I mean hey... that's some tip. How can he sleep at night, I do wonder...

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well maybe you're backing the wrong horse here. Shouldn't he go back to the folks that gave him the overly buffed, falling apart horn and tell them it's worth a grand? I mean hey... that's some tip. How can he sleep at night, I do wonder...
Ahh... You just can't take someone being nice just for the sake of it. We are born kind and then everything we encounter chips away at that..

Perhaps you should change your name to Happy and it might just help your outlook slightly every time you come here. Who knows, after some time passes, you might not have to try to belittle using the guise of being wise.

I would block you again but I realize you are a good Muse.. I can only wish you the best and may the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,248 Posts
Hmmmm.....Is that your professional tech opinion ?

In reality, even if it needs a full repad, body dunking, AND the resolder...that'd only be $600-700 or so of work.

eBay tells us one of these non RTH Ladies...project horn shape...is still worth $1g.

You fellas might wanna bone up a bit on current market values of these, methinks (current market values of Lady 10M's are crazy now...nothing resembling what they went for in 2017-ish. I mean, I do NOT agree with how inflated their prices are, but that is the reality these days).

A non Lady, nickel-key, underslung 60's project one went on eFlay for $800 recently....a Lady one with non-RTH needing a cleaning and at least partial repad went for $1500....

The ONLY 10M you gonna find anywhere for $400 is a 60's-70's one, beater, with its neck missing....
I must be going to the wrong tech. Mine wanted $500 to repad a $200 flute. Then there’s that Martin Bari you’re familiar with. I won’t tell you what he wanted to fix that but it was a lot. I didn’t take either to him.

Back on topic, it’s best to shop around for repad work. Prices vary by a lot.

For the record I’m with George (Jaye) and Grey on this one. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with accepting a lowball offer from a seller but I would sleep better if I told him what it was really worth. In this particular case $200-300 was probably about right if it’s buffed out and posts have been JB Welded back on.

edit - Just saw the pics. I’d take a hard pass on that sad old horn.

·
26,879 Posts
Ahh... You just can't take someone being nice just for the sake of it.
Sure I can. And it would have been nice if you had just given the guy two hundred bucks, made his day and moved on. But you really didn't think this through, now did you. Why should this guy be allowed to take an undervalued horn from someone to profit from, when someone else can't even give him two hundred bucks for it? This is a serious question now. If you really wanted to exert your moral authority, you should find the people who gave the guy the horn, tell them what it's worth and maybe try to get it back to them. And hey, I'm just following your own moral code here. This is not something I'd expect you to do, or even want you to do. No. You painted yourself into this corner. I mean... if you really want us to think you're a great guy.

·
Registered
Keilwerth SX90R Tenor, Selmer MVII Alto, Yamaha Flute, Fender American Tele
180 Posts
Okay, I have to say for the record, this is a strange thread...

·
Registered
75 Posts
This damn Covid thing is making everyone a little grumpy at the moment. Hmmm, I wonder if that 10m blows a nice low D, or is it a 'motorboater?' 😀

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's a Mexican Conn that probably needs an overhaul plus silverplating if you want to replace the metal that has been buffed away. I'm not sure I'd pay more than $200 to get the opportunity to pay the future costs of the horn.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay, I have to say for the record, this is a strange thread...
lol.. I know.. it's that silly little sax pipe and it's contents.. but hey the guy is up to 420 on eflay so something good out of it is coming to pass. Plus he said he would give me a good price on moving some stuff out of one of our rental properties that the previous tenants left behind.... :eek: It pays to make new friends...

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I must be going to the wrong tech. Mine wanted $500 to repad a $200 flute. Then there’s that Martin Bari you’re familiar with. I won’t tell you what he wanted to fix that but it was a lot. I didn’t take either to him.

Back on topic, it’s best to shop around for repad work. Prices vary by a lot.

For the record I’m with George (Jaye) and Grey on this one. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with accepting a lowball offer from a seller but I would sleep better if I told him what it was really worth. In this particular case $200-300 was probably about right if it’s buffed out and posts have been JB Welded back on.

edit - Just saw the pics. I’d take a hard pass on that sad old horn.
Yeah it wasn't just the horn. I saw the original post with an old metal mouthpiece. I just made an offer immediately and then started looking at the pics and saw that it looked to be a vintage STM. At that point, I just told him to stop and lets see what he has. The horn's condition is beat and the STM is nothing special but I was in a good mood that day and figured I would help someone find out what he had just in case it was way out there.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It's a Mexican Conn that probably needs an overhaul plus silverplating if you want to replace the metal that has been buffed away. I'm not sure I'd pay more than $200 to get the opportunity to pay the future costs of the horn.
It's not a Mexican Conn ! It has a 344xxx SN, which means it was made in 1951, which is well before Conn moved production to Nogales. It's an early straight tone hole instrument and, once repaired, should be a great horn to play. It's up to $420.00 in the bidding as I write: depending on the cost of refurbishment, that should be about its maximum commercial value as is.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So, I could have bought this for $200 as I was first in line but then thought, taking advantage of someone that doesn't have any idea what he has is a crap move in life. I told him to text me and we sorted it out what he had. He moves folks for a living and the people he was moving told him he could have it as they had no use for it.

It is a 1951 10M Naked Lady with an Otto Link USA STM. He has the parts to solder the post back on and everything that went with it. Anyway, if anyone is interested in it I can put you in contact with him. He would probably sell it at a reasonable and fair price now I just don't need another project.
Well he texted me and is pretty happy as the auction ended at $860 but now apparently the highest bidder backed out, came to his senses?, so he is talking to next in line.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Strongly disagree! the JB Weld and the repair work on the other posts on the listing indicate that there was some trama to this horn and that the tube is suspect. I am guessing this was a marching band horn. You don't buy eBay horns that look like this.
not really worth much more than a couple hundred bucks
...welp...notsomuch, eh ?
Looks like we'll find out what it's worth within the next 10 days:
I said it before..I'll say it again...market values of these 10M's are insane now. I dunno why anyone would expect a Lady-engraved 10M to value at $500 ? Nothing in current market reality supports that. So if one is gonna give 'advice' on prices, bone up on current price dynamics first.

(I am not saying I agree with the current values....again, 4 years ago, things were "normal" as they had been for an entire decade up to '17....fully overhauled RTH lady went for around $1800-2000, a non RTH Lady again great condition around $1400-1500, a 60's non-lady underslung around $800-900).

(BTW...there was nothing remotely 'alarming' about the condition of that eBay horn....presence of JB Weld indicates nothing other than someone didn't wanna take the horn to a tech and pay for a proper resolder. Other than that, nothing in pics indicates an abused horn. By today's measure, the new owner didn't do badly. Even if second bidder takes it for $850. $900-ish total for the horn+tax+ship, probably they put $500-600 of work into it and they have a good one, there...their total investment of maybe $1400 is less than CURRENT market of a serviced one by around $350-600).
There will be no nightmare here. It's highly unlikely the cost of tech work to bring that horn up to good tack is gonna exceed $600-ish.Just looking at it now I could get her up for $400, guaranteed.

So really, a win-win for everyone. Former owner got a good price for it, thanks to @Grey Stone didn't get reamed by someone snatching it for $200....and the new owner getting an OK price for it)

·
18,646 Posts
Ignorance is not stupidity. The guy is very happy that he is making more money on a gift and yes I do feel good that I was able to help him and not screw him over.
Correct. Sadly...this is a dead-horse argument a LOT of people use to rationalize their own lack of morality when they lowball and more or less 'steal' an item from an unwitting seller. You see such defenses on "dude, I just got a STEAL" threads here quite regularly:

Somehow, rather than it being any sort of lack of decency on the part of the 'offerer'...it is the seller who is just 'stupid'.
"Hey, man, not MY fault the seller was too dumb to realize its value", etc....

Again, a sad rationalization for acting badly and taking advantage of someone...

Thanks, again, @Grey Stone , for doing what you did. Again, I would have (and have, in the past) done the same.

·
18,646 Posts
Well, not on the first try. You know, that hassle part I was talking about...
Contraire....I am figuring the second bidder will be quite happy landing that horn for $200 less than what one of that era in that shape usually goes for....and as we know, if winning bid was $860, second bid was within a few bucks of it.

Also, there's not a whole lotta 'bother' offering up an ended item to a second or third bidder. (which, BTW...is still the 'First Try").
Even, in worst case scenario, the horn goes to relist..we now know what eBay fetches for it and there's even a fair chance it'd bid up more on a second listing.

So, again, people trying to rationalize this horn as some sorta quagmire...

....dudes...I have had 500 of these sorta horns on my bench...nothing here is a red flag, this is all quite typical....and again, I am glad seller got a reasonable price for it, as he should have.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
...welp...notsomuch, eh ?
I said it before..I'll say it again...market values of these 10M's are insane now. I dunno why anyone would expect a Lady-engraved 10M to value at $500 ? Nothing in current market reality supports that. So if one is gonna give 'advice' on prices, bone up on current price dynamics first.

(I am not saying I agree with the current values....again, 4 years ago, things were "normal" as they had been for an entire decade up to '17....fully overhauled RTH lady went for around $1800-2000, a non RTH Lady again great condition around $1400-1500, a 60's non-lady underslung around $800-900).

(BTW...there was nothing remotely 'alarming' about the condition of that eBay horn....presence of JB Weld indicates nothing other than someone didn't wanna take the horn to a tech and pay for a proper resolder. Other than that, nothing in pics indicates an abused horn. By today's measure, the new owner didn't do badly. Even if second bidder takes it for $850. $900-ish total for the horn+tax+ship, probably they put $500-600 of work into it and they have a good one, there...their total investment of maybe $1400 is less than CURRENT market of a serviced one by around $350-600).
There will be no nightmare here. It's highly unlikely the cost of tech work to bring that horn up to good tack is gonna exceed $600-ish.Just looking at it now I could get her up for $400, guaranteed.

So really, a win-win for everyone. Former owner got a good price for it, thanks to @Grey Stone didn't get reamed by someone snatching it for $200....and the new owner getting an OK price for it)
Plus I have a new mover friend now and I got a good price to haul away some stuff. Heck maybe I will throw in one of those C Melodies when I pay him.. :ROFLMAO:

·
26,879 Posts
Contraire....I am figuring the second bidder will be quite happy landing that horn...
Optimistic. Many folks tend to move on from auctions, or have their money already spent elsewhere. Once a bidder drops out, the quagmire can open. Let's just hope that undervalued tip ends up paid at some point; and without numerous listings. Or that the second highest wasn't a shill... :LOL:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts