Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I could have bought this for $200 as I was first in line but then thought, taking advantage of someone that doesn't have any idea what he has is a crap move in life. I told him to text me and we sorted it out what he had. He moves folks for a living and the people he was moving told him he could have it as they had no use for it.

It is a 1951 10M Naked Lady with an Otto Link USA STM. He has the parts to solder the post back on and everything that went with it. Anyway, if anyone is interested in it I can put you in contact with him. He would probably sell it at a reasonable and fair price now I just don't need another project.

Attachments

·
Registered
Keilwerth SX90R Tenor, Selmer MVII Alto, Yamaha Flute, Fender American Tele
180 Posts
So, I could have bought this for $200 as I was first in line and about to transfer him the money and then jumping in my van to get it, but then thought, taking advantage of someone that doesn't have any idea what he has is a crap move in life. I told him to text me and we sorted it out what he had. He moves folks for a living and the people he was moving told him he could have it as they had no use for it.

It is a 1951 10M Naked Lady with an Otto Link USA STM. He has the parts to solder the post back on and everything that went with it. Anyway, if anyone is interested in it I can put you in contact with him. He would probably sell it at a reasonable and fair price now I just don't need another project.
Considering it would cost $1K to fix, I think $200 might be the max number,

·
Banned
YAS-875EX, YTS-61, YBS-52, YFL-677, YCL-SEVR
39 Posts
I don't think 1k is exactly right, but surely $500-$600 and possibly more. Maybe $400 max for the sax itself in the current condition.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting so I had no idea of what effort\cost is involved in fixing it. I know it is above my skill level of re-corking and padding.. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think 1k is exactly right, but surely $500-$600 and possibly more. Maybe $400 max for the sax itself in the current condition.
Maybe, In Seattle a full repad done right is about $700-$800 without any repairs. Dent and solder add to the mix.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Hmmmm.....Is that your professional tech opinion ?

In reality, even if it needs a full repad, body dunking, AND the resolder...that'd only be $600-700 or so of work.

eBay tells us one of these non RTH Ladies...project horn shape...is still worth $1g.

You fellas might wanna bone up a bit on current market values of these, methinks (current market values of Lady 10M's are crazy now...nothing resembling what they went for in 2017-ish. I mean, I do NOT agree with how inflated their prices are, but that is the reality these days).

A non Lady, nickel-key, underslung 60's project one went on eFlay for $800 recently....a Lady one with non-RTH needing a cleaning and at least partial repad went for $1500....

The ONLY 10M you gonna find anywhere for $400 is a 60's-70's one, beater, with its neck missing....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Now that I got that out of my system.... :oops:[email protected] Stone ~
taking advantage of someone that doesn't have any idea what he has is a crap move in life. I told him to text me and we sorted it out what he had.
THIS was VERY upstanding of you, and I applaud it (y)

Perhaps 10% of sax players would have done this....and I can assure you at least 50% would have handed over the two hundred ...then posted online how they had 'scored' bigtime...oblivious to the fact that they were also advertising the fact that they are sorta scumbags....

I would have done similar to what you have done, honestly, even as a flipper. You can score a good deal....you don't HAVE to take advantage of folks whenever the opportunity arises, however.

A FAIR lowballish offer for this horn is $600 cash....assuming it has no significant body damage beyond the sheared off post.
Offering anything less, and honestly, you would be the aforementioned descriptor above.

You buy this for $600 ...and have your tech overhaul it for as high as $1g (send it to me, I'll do it for $600)...and at $1600 invested....you still 'saved' yourself $500-600 on buying one of these in cleaned and serviced shape.

On eFlay, any given day, open bidding auction...this gets $750..... eeeeeasy.
It'd likely bid up to $1100.....

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take the mouthpiece
I

In reality, even if it needs a full repad, AND the resolder...that'd only be $600-700 or so of work.

eBay tells us one of these non RTH Ladies...project horn shape...is still worth $1g.

You fellas might wanna bone up a bit on current market values of these, methinks. (current market values of Lady 10M's are crazy now...nothing resembling what they went for in 2017-ish)

A non Lady, nickel-key, underslung 60's project one went on eFlay for $800 recently....a Lady one with non-RTH needing a cleaning and at least partial repad went for $1500....

The ONLY 10M you gonna find anywhere for $400 is a 60's-70's one, beater, with its neck missing....
Yeah that is what I was seeing on there.. He has an offer right now for 750 and I told him to really consider taking it.. Sell the mouthpiece separately

·
Registered
180 Posts

In reality, even if it needs a full repad, AND the resolder...that'd only be $600-700 or so of work.

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
180 Posts
Strongly disagree! the JB Weld and the repair work on the other posts on the listing indicate that there was some trama to this horn and that the tube is suspect. I am guessing this was a marching band horn. You don't buy eBay horns that look like this.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
The mouthpiece could be worth more than the sax.
The case is probably worth more than the sax.
The sax has three strikes against it; It’s a non-rolled tone hole 10M. It’s a re-lacquered 10M.
And finally, it’s a 10M.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I got that out of my system.... :oops:[email protected] Stone ~

THIS was VERY upstanding of you, and I applaud it (y)

Perhaps 10% of sax players would have done this....and I can assure you at least 50% would have handed over the two hundred ...then posted online how they had 'scored' bigtime...oblivious to the fact that they were also advertising the fact that they are sorta scumbags....

I would have done similar to what you have done, honestly, even as a flipper. You can score a good deal....you don't HAVE to take advantage of folks whenever the opportunity arises, however.

A FAIR lowballish offer for this horn is $600 cash....assuming it has no significant body damage beyond the sheared off post.
Offering anything less, and honestly, you would be the aforementioned descriptor above.

You buy this for $600 ...and have your tech overhaul it for as high as $1g (send it to me, I'll do it for $600)...and at $1600 invested....you still 'saved' yourself $500-600 on buying one of these in cleaned and serviced shape.

On eFlay, any given day, open bidding auction...this gets $750..... eeeeeasy.
It'd likely bid up to $1100.....
Yeah bargains show up weekly and I will pounce but this was way lopsided.. Don't need the money on a flip and have a lot of tenors.. It's about getting these out of the dark and back into circulation for me.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like we'll find out what it's worth within the next 10 days:

ONN-10M-NAKED-LADY-TENOR-SAX-SAXOPHONE-CIRCA-1950s-OTTO-LINK-7-MOUTHPIECE-/154485554630?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286[/URL]
Yep he texted me that its up on ebay but will see if he sells it somewhere else.. just happy to see he is going to make a little more money on it...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
not really worth much more than a couple hundred bucks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,879 Posts
Perhaps 10% of sax players would have done this....and I can assure you at least 50% would have handed over the two hundred ...then posted online how they had 'scored' bigtime...
Well, you know me. I would have offered a hundred bucks tops, and that's only if he wouldn't take fifty.

Seriously though... here's a guy who moves junk out of people's homes, gets a horn dumped on him and then would be very happy with an unexpected windfall of two hundred bucks. There's no moral test here, and no need to make people either feel good or bad over their decisions in this regard. Now what... the guy is made to feel stupid for undervaluing a horn, and now has to go through the hassle of selling it. Are we really doing him a solid?

If you wanted the horn Grey Stone, you should have bought it for the asking price. Not come here to let us all know what a great guy you are for passing on such a deal.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, you know me. I would have offered a hundred bucks tops, and that's only if he wouldn't take fifty.

Seriously though... here's a guy who moves junk out of people's homes, gets a horn dumped on him and then would be very happy with an unexpected windfall of two hundred bucks. There's no moral test here, and no need to make people either feel good or bad over their decisions in this regard. Now what... the guy is made to feel stupid for undervaluing a horn, and now has to go through the hassle of selling it. Are we really doing him a solid?

If you wanted the horn Grey Stone, you should have bought it for the asking price. Not come here to let us all know what a great guy you are for passing on such a deal.
Yeah.. Not taking the trolls bait..

Ignorance is not stupidity. The guy is very happy that he is making more money on a gift and yes I do feel good that I was able to help him and not screw him over.

I can send you my Instagram\FB pages so you can fawn over all the fabulous things I post and the likes I get across the world about my kind demeanor. Well that is if I actually was on Social Media, besides this account here.. Regardless, I bet you I would be fabulous and a Major Influencer, maybe even get things like Theo Wanne mouthpieces for free to influence other Kind folks to use... :cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts