Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1960 Conn 10M that plays wonderfully but seems to get very sharp when playing high g and higher, more specifically A and B. I found that when im playing the high G if I put or take more or less pressure on the ring finger the pitch seems to vary depending on how much pressure I am using; which has led me to loosening my embouchure whenever playing higher.

I'm going to post some pictures and possibly a video of the sax as it more clear to see it in action.

if anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful.
Thanks

Alec

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,550 Posts
Your middle left finger closes 2 other keys. Im no tech but this leads me to strongly suggest you have a leak. That aint no trill key. Something isnt right. Address that issue and see where it leaves you.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree. You need to place a small bright light down inside your sax, near the suspect tone holes, in a darkened room, to find the leaks, or get a technician to do it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
...when I'm playing the high G if I put or take more or less pressure on the ring finger the pitch seems to vary depending on how much pressure I am using....
Your middle left finger closes 2 other keys. Im no tech but this leads me to strongly suggest you have a leak. That aint no trill key......
:|...

:|...

I suppose folks wear rings on many a finger.....:mrgreen:...

....but aren't we talking about a couple of different things here ?

Looky...the sister ship which has a similar issue:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?160246-Conn-6M-upper-register-tuning-issue

I dunno if a leak would cause the intonation on the G2 and A2 to go wonky. (It might, rabbit...it might....or not).

So, here's a question to consider: this happens in the second octave but not the first, as you explained it. Do this: try playing that second octave sans the octave key (i.e. overblow the octave).

Does this result in the same intonation problem ? Or, is the intonation better ?

If better, then this may suggest that it's something to do with the body octave key.

Also...does the intonation problem disappear when you get up to C2 ? Is it absolutely there on the B2 ???

Try this, just for kicks....play the G2 and A2 (w/octave key) while slightly depressing the lower stack (RH) keys E and F (you are trying to bring the E and F pads maybe 1/8" closer to the toneholes that their usual open position).

Does this improve the G, A, B 2's ?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree with JayeSF, too. I should never aligned myself with Sigmund's nonsense.

Uhhh well, I'm gay. That's my excuse nd I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear All,
I just bought a Conn 10M from 1948 and I have unfortunately EXACTLY the same problem than yours!!
My tenor sax is playing too sharp on the high G and above. I am wondering if there is a way to fix that since all the other registry sound great!!

I would be very very pleased if you can tell me what you tried/decided to do for your situation and whether or not you succeeded in fixing the problem.

Thanks a lot

Simon

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,760 Posts
What mouthpiece are you using?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,425 Posts
I see this problem a lot on 10m's. It can often be fixed, or made much better, with a combination of setting up the key heights and adding a liner I the neck. Great intonation on a 10m is very possible but it requires a bit of work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tell me about thel iner in the neck. My mouthpiece is pulled pretty far out.Iused gorilla tape to close up some of th keys but only close to decent intonation with mp pulled out. Never heard of neck liner

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Not sure if it is related to this specific incident, but 10M is moderately sensitive to mouthpiece chamber volume. Fiddling around with necks and key heights can probably make intonation issues better but the real cure is usually to use a larger chamber MP (Link or Meyer style work well). 10M is kind of in between 6M (doesn't seem to be sensitive to MP design) and 12M (highly sensitive). I can tell you that with a hard rubber Meyer ("med. chamber"), Selmer Soloist C*, or a Dukoff D7 (high baffle, but large chamber) my 10M plays well in tune over the whole range of the horn. Key heights are set at what I think of as "moderate" all over the horn. I have not really had to tweak any individual notes' key heights at all.

Second possibility is key height of G (LH ring finger) which can be way way high and the rest of the horn still functioning.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,362 Posts
Here is a link to musicmedic installing a neck liner. Probably not something you want to do on your own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.