Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know of 50s,/60s guys who played a Conn 10M? Guys like Lee Allen, Plas Johnson, King Curtis, Sam Butera? I bought a 10M as a backup to my MkVI. I've read that King Super 20s and Zephyrs, often with an open Berg, were favorites for r'n'r, but how bout the Conns? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Big Jay McNeely

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Besides Big Jay, I can't think of any name brand players, but given that the Conn tenor was as common as dirt back in the 40s and 50s, I am sure that a large number of second and third rank players used them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the second and third rank players might have played 10Ms, what were the first rank players playing?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If the second and third rank players might have played 10Ms, what were the first rank players playing?
I guess most played a Selmer Mk VI. Earl Bostic played a Martin at some time. Handcraft, I believe.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This clip was posted earlier on SOTW. Nino Tempo played some really energetic rock and roll on his 10M in the sixties. And although his music styles changed in the sixties and seventies and scoring several great hits as a singer together with his sister and as a sax player in the seventies, he has never changed his horn. A very undervalued tenor sax player if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZEhvcne6k

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
I think Pee Wee Ellis played a 10m with James Brown

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a pretty respectable list of players. I thank all of you for the info. You might have just saved me from myself. I started looking for King S20s, and I REALLY can't afford one. I couldn't afford the 10M, either, but it was less unaffordable than an S20!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And that Nino Tempo clip; WOW! That answers my question definitively! Anybody have any idea what that white mpc is?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
And that Nino Tempo clip; WOW! That answers my question definitively! Anybody have any idea what that white mpc is?
It is most likely a Brilhart.
They can be huge sounding. I occassionally play a white Brilhart Streamline (original 7* tip) on a 10M on old style R&B gigs and it does the job.
It is not a paintpeeler like a Dukoff or a Berg but has a nice edge and a fat penetrating tone.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,161 Posts
My 10M came with a white MP like that in the case. I couldn't play it at the time . Now I can't find it. Sad!

I enjoyed that clip. Watched the whole thing. "Bop Girl Goes Calypso". The actress, Judy Tyler, was also in Jail House Rock with Elvis. She was also nominated for a Tony award. Sadly, she died in a car crash before she could see either movie.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I think Sam Butera played a 10M early on, and moved to a Selmer Mk VI tenor later on in his career…

1 - 20 of 30 Posts