Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm currently on an overseas trip to the UK. and have been searching for a good vintage horn over here.

I found two Conn 10M's that I'm tossing up between, however after lurking around here checking prices, I have a feeling I'm being MASSIVELY ripped off.

They are both in fantastic condition and have been serviced.

They have brand new pads.

They have both been relacquered (only once I believe)
The older relac is still in excellent condition (though personally I hate the colour, I'm only talking about % of lac remaining). I barely saw any lacquer off it.

The newer relac has gone brown on about 40%, and the rest is this yellow colour. It looks like garbage, plays like heaven.

Most importantly, the sound is fantastic. I have played a few different conn's now
These are my favourite, by far.

Their serial numbers are
310xxx (1945 w/RTH)
and
331xxx (1948 no RTH)

their prices are 1700 pound for the older one (2,714.79US)
and 1750 pound for the other (2,794.63US)

Too me, these prices are looking ridiculous by comparison to what's been posted here???

Thanks guys,
Kurt.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You're not massively ripped off unless you buy 'em!

Maybe Pete Thomas would be best for answering this question -- as I understand it, vintage American saxes command some pretty high prices overseas. Not to mention that the dollar's been actively devalued for about 8 years now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,733 Posts
Hello, I'm currently on an overseas trip to the UK...
From where? Why are you shopping for vintage American horns in the U.K.?

They are both in fantastic condition...
Most importantly, the sound is fantastic. I have played a few different conn's now
These are my favourite, by far...
Sounds like you like them. What's the price matter if they are the best of class and you can afford one?

A massive rip off is when you buy a horn for a lot of money and DON'T like it. Buying a horn that is The One may save you from looking at any others and going through a lot of mediocre (in contrast) instruments.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Why not make him an offer with what you feel is in line for the horn, realize that if you are playing overhauled horns
in this situation and the previous horns you played needed work, it's not really a reasonable comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from Australia.
I heard about this shop over here that is stocked full of stuff.

Perhaps its not correct to call this a massive rip off then, because I feel like I would be very happy with one of these horns
What's the price matter if they are the best of class and you can afford one?
The price is important because I'm seeing similar horns going for over $1500US less.

Yes, I do believe that if I love the horn I should just get it.
But I also believe that I should pay a fair price. This is a lot of money for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
Hello,
I'm currently on an overseas trip to the UK. and have been searching for a good vintage horn over here.

I found two Conn 10M's that I'm tossing up between, however after lurking around here checking prices, I have a feeling I'm being MASSIVELY ripped off.

They are both in fantastic condition and have been serviced.

They have brand new pads.

They have both been relacquered (only once I believe)
The older relac is still in excellent condition (though personally I hate the colour, I'm only talking about % of lac remaining). I barely saw any lacquer off it.

The newer relac has gone brown on about 40%, and the rest is this yellow colour. It looks like garbage, plays like heaven.

These are my favourite, by far.

Their serial numbers are
310xxx (1945 w/RTH)
and
331xxx (1948 no RTH)

their prices are 1700 pound for the older one (2,714.79US)
and 1750 pound for the other (2,794.63US)

Too me, these prices are looking ridiculous by comparison to what's been posted here???

Thanks guys,
Kurt.
You nearly always pay more in the uk,horns are cheaper in the states"..the downside to buying in the usa, is the import tax" it works out about 20% on top of the price we pay.
Ie, if i pay 1000£ for a horn in the states, her majestys customs charge 200£ when it arrives here, roughly?...
If you look around in the states, i would of thought, you may find about a better deal money wise?..but if the horn sounds good, then maybe it s worth it!..1750£ for a conn seems a little excessive though.
I doubt that there would be many takers, but if the sellar wants money shortly , they may take an offer?..you have nothing to lose by trying!

·
Registered
271 Posts
For what its worth, I recently had a 10M shipped to Australia for $1400US and then spent $800 on a repad, so thats $2200 to get a top playing 10M. I also avoided import tax (lucky...as this would have added $500 to the cost.)

At least you can see and hear exactly what you are purchasing. Also, what sort of horn will you get in Australia for $2700 - ( half a P Mauriat maybe....)

good luck

good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still in abit of a though process about it all...but...

I had a look on USA horn,

they have 3 post war 10Ms, ones $4000, then two others for $2100 and $1500, which require new pads, and probably a service too (the horns I'm buying have brand new pads and have been well serviced.
These USA horns though... all have original lacquer (and in the photos, the lacquer quality looks fantastic?!)

http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/985/10-M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3198XX.html
http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/843/10M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3293XX.html
http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/864/10M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3354XX.html

So...it seems, I could go to the US and buy a "economically better" saxophone for less money.
But, unfortunately that won't happen for a few years to come.

This saxophone shop is in the middle of nowhere hear in the UK, I may not get the chance to come back here and play this horn, which I am starting to fall in love with, ever again.

so at this stage, I'm thinking f*ck it. If I find a better one in the future then I'll find a way to buy it but for now this is what I want.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
The fact that they were recently serviced and have new pads is worth a fair amount. And that you got to play them and really like how they play. So, not a bargain, but likely worth it.

·
Banned
184 Posts
The pricing of the two horns relative to each other seems weird. 50 more for the 45 RTH that looks good than for the 48 STH that looks like garbage? Not that the 48 would be any worse from a sound or playability standpoint, and judging by your post it isn't.

Make an offer. You're in a stronger bargaining position with the fugly 48 that lacks the "classic" RTH feature (even though it is a controversial feature from a functional standpoint).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm still in abit of a though process about it all...but...

I had a look on USA horn,

they have 3 post war 10Ms, ones $4000, then two others for $2100 and $1500, which require new pads, and probably a service too (the horns I'm buying have brand new pads and have been well serviced.
These USA horns though... all have original lacquer (and in the photos, the lacquer quality looks fantastic?!)

http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/985/10-M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3198XX.html
http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/843/10M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3293XX.html
http://usahorn.com/used/Conn/864/10M-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-3354XX.html

So...it seems, I could go to the US and buy a "economically better" saxophone for less money.
But, unfortunately that won't happen for a few years to come.

This saxophone shop is in the middle of nowhere hear in the UK, I may not get the chance to come back here and play this horn, which I am starting to fall in love with, ever again.

so at this stage, I'm thinking f*ck it. If I find a better one in the future then I'll find a way to buy it but for now this is what I want.
Good on ya, mate.

(I always wanted to say that to an Aussie!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
10M's and 6M's ARE silly money over here, buy from USA--preferably from one of the guy's on SOTW. It is worth paying the taxes and the Queen because you are still £££££'s better off. I really envy the fact that these great horns are a fraction of the UK prices in N America.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
If they are from a shop, then they would/should be higher than horns posted privately. Does it include VAT (20%) ?

If they have been overhauled & repadded then that's another reason for seeing higher prices.

So I think those prices are reasonable from a dealer (hey, wait until you see how much I'm going to sell my 10M for!)

Don't forget though that you will probably need to pay some customs when taking them back home, however a shop should be able to sell minus the VAT if you are exporting them, you may need to look into some paperwork from HMRC for this, to prove you are taking it out of the country.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
That does seem slightly on the high side but not much if the condition (i mean playing condition) is great (uk shop prices). What is the shop? Someone here may know it and might have info worth knowing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Heres my feeling on this....if you are a pro player, you probably already have the horn you need to play. If you are a hobby player, you already have a horn but want an upgrade to satisfy your ego. In either case, you don't need the new horn but want the new horn. It sounds as if money is tight. These two horns are overpriced and you don't need them at that price. Offer a price you can afford and if they refuse,,it was meant to be. Ive always felt that a person searching for whatever they want(doesn't matter what), that item will find you..and you will know when that happens. It feels right. Do these horns feel like they should be yours? Would you feel ripped off if you bought them? What you want is your dream horn at a great price..is this it? Money is tight and you are trying to justify this purchase. If it were me looking to buy,,I would purchase off of SOTW...better deals and we "know" these nice folks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts