Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I just bought this Conn 10m '66, with this funny relacquered keywork and body, I had no clue how it sounds, just wanted to buy lower price 10m and I was a little bit scared for the relacquered status, but since price was low I decided to buy it

me and my teacher play tested this horn, and its great!! even being relacquered it sounds awesome and I can feel that 10m sound through!
of course I'll spend months to get used to it (I played delacquered Conn 16m also with decent sound), make it free blowing
so everyone who wants to buy late 10m - its very fine! that fat low register!

teacher also suggested me to take off the neck lacquer so it sounds best, but I don't want to hurry and will definitely play this horn as is so I can make a final conclusion

p.s. too bad they relacquered not that accurate, so engaving barely seen
p.p.s I like this new golden keywork :mrgreen:

XUz1trXuusA.jpg 57EL17EqeIw.jpg

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,332 Posts
Agree, removing lacquer from the neck will not affect your sound. Maybe your teacher needs a teacher. :bluewink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone!
as I said - I will leave lacquer alone and play for at least 4-5 months :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,390 Posts
Congrats, they are nice horns. Just to clarify: people are suggesting NEVER remove the neck lacquer...and I agree.

I do not know where your teacher gets the idea that delacquering a saxophone neck will make the sax sound better....but it's not something the vast majority of players would agree with; including very experienced techs.

If you want the neck to patina/tarnish and turn brown/gold/rosy and not uniform in color, then delacquer the neck.

But it will have zero effect on how the horn sounds.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats, they are nice horns. Just to clarify: people are suggesting NEVER remove the neck lacquer...and I agree.

I do not know where your teacher gets the idea that delacquering a saxophone neck will make the sax sound better....but it's not something the vast majority of players would agree with; including very experienced techs.

If you want the neck to patina/tarnish and turn brown/gold/rosy and not uniform in color, then delacquer the neck.

But it will have zero effect on how the horn sounds.

Enjoy.
I also thought if the lacquer will be bad or something goes wrong I'd silver plate the body (I like silver plate)
but everything looks fine so there's probably no reasons for doing that

and yeah, its difficult to understand what is right or what is wrong with the lacquer, because people usually say "take it all off!" or "don't even think of that!".. so I felt confused all the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts