Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I may be considering trading my Purple logo YTS-62 (in great playing condition, but with a fair amount of scratches, logo is half gone, etc.) for a Conn 10M from 1950 (recently overhauled, at least 90% original lacquer, no dents). I have yet to play test it (I love the ergos on my Yamaha but I'm looking for something with a fattier, vintage tone -- no budget for the SBA or MKVI) but I was wondering if, value for value, this is a good deal. I've seen a really wide range of estimates on what these Conns sell for these days.

Pics here:

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Music

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I was wondering if, value for value, this is a good deal. I've seen a really wide range of estimates on what these Conns sell for these days.
If that's your concern, there's a simple solution: sell the Yamaha for cash and then buy a Conn. You'll find out the market value of both horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I have a '50 10m like that one. Original lacquer in excellent condition, pads with noyeks like new. Paid $1475.
I don't know anything about Yamahas.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you like how your 62 plays and the ergos feel good then the only safe way to decide is to play the Conn. I have had Conn's and Yamahas and I prefer Yamaha even though there is more sound in the Conn.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,396 Posts
They're both awful. Selmer is the way to go.
Wow... smh

The only way to truly be happy with your choice is play test the conn and see if the sound would be enough to stray you from the ergos of the Yamaha.

If it were me, I wouldn't let Ergonomics be the deciding factor. Sound for me is the ultimate decider.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Looks like the guy isn't interested after all -- said he's looking to resell it and would want the horn delacquered first (I think there is a bigger market here in France for "vintage" horns -- or things that look vintage -- than there are for Yamahas.)

As to getting a bigger sound out of my 62: I've heard that changing the neck can do a lot (Selmer, Boesken, etc). I've tried the Yamaha Custom V1 neck, both a gold lacquer and unlacquered, and the lacquered one opened up the sound a lot, the unlacquered one not so much, I'm not sure why there'd be such a difference though.

Right now I'm playing on a refaced new vintage Link, which I like, but it lacks something in the upper register, and when I push the volume it gets brighter than I would like.

There's someone over here selling a Sakshama .103 reface of a "Vibrator," which I've heard good things about but haven't heard any good sound clips of. I was also looking at a 10MFan Merlot 8 but it might be already sold. Any opinions??

·
Registered
148 Posts
...if i don't sell my 1951/52 10M (fresh overhaul, original laquer, no dents...)within the next 14 days, i would be interested in a trade for the yts...just contact me...we also will find a way for playtesting the horn (Freiburg - Lyon is a bit more than 400km)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts