Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently just started playing tenor again as I've been playing alto for about 30 years. I have been playing on HR pieces my whole life and would like to try a link STM for my new tenor persuits. I dont have a bunch of cash so thought I would take a gamble on a modern metal Link STM. However, there are several different models and I am a bit confused as to what the differences are and would like some clarification. The ones I have seen on WWBW and similar sites are as follows. Otto Link STM (regular), Otto Link NY STM, Otto Link FL STM, Otto Link FL 100th anniversary, Otto Link Vintage STM.

I could use some guidance on the differences in these pieces?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
We had one member very happy with his #6 NY recently.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand correctly the NY has a slightly larger chamber and has a darker tone that the regular STM? Where does that put the FL and the new Vintage ToneMaster? brighter, darker, .....there has to be some sort of difference I assume?

I believe I discovered the FL and the 100th anniversary FL are the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my tenor I play an hard rubber regular otto link. It doesn’t “pop”, which pissed me off at beginning, but still plays very well to me, who am not that greatly skilled sax player

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
If I understand correctly the NY has a slightly larger chamber and has a darker tone that the regular STM? Where does that put the FL and the new Vintage ToneMaster? brighter, darker, .....there has to be some sort of difference I assume?

I believe I discovered the FL and the 100th anniversary FL are the same thing.
This is the sequence from darker to brighter sounding:

- Otto Link New Vintage TM
- Otto Link NY STM
- Otto Link STM (regular)
- Otto Link FL STM (same as Otto Link FL 100th anniversary)

The NV TM has the biggest chamber, the FL STM the highest baffle.

In the end it all depends on what kind of sound you want. If that's something in between dark and brighter I would go for the NY STM.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the end it all depends on what kind of sound you want. If that's something in between dark and brighter I would go for the NY STM.

absolutely!! This is exactly the direction I would like to go the NY STM. I googled famous tenor player setups last night and probably 95% of them played a Link of some kind.

Thats crazy!!

Seems like if you play tenor you have to at least try one of these, if for no other reason but to feel the same type of mouthpiece in your mouth that the greats had.

.....of course I know the dream will end as soon as I start putting air through the horn, come back to reality and get back to my long tones and scales. :cry:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
absolutely!! This is exactly the direction I would like to go the NY STM. I googled famous tenor player setups last night and probably 95% of them played a Link of some kind.

Thats crazy!!

Seems like if you play tenor you have to at least try one of these, if for no other reason but to feel the same type of mouthpiece in your mouth that the greats had.

.....of course I know the dream will end as soon as I start putting air through the horn, come back to reality and get back to my long tones and scales. :cry:
Yeah, they've been very popular over the years and certainly worth a try. But when I tried one for the first time 40 years ago when I was heavy into Coltrane, it didn't do anything for me. I ended up going between Berg and Dukoff the next few decades, mostly Berg. It gives me exactly the sound and flexibility I want.

Realize that a mouthpiece is a very personal thing, and that what works for some folks may not work for others. Try lots of different makes and models and let your own experience guide you more than famous player setup lists. Don't force yourself into a Link just because others play it.

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
I googled famous tenor player setups last night and probably 95% of them played a Link of some kind.
That's true, but those famous guys played mostly vintage Link's, which are in general better mouthpieces than current Link's (produced since 1980).

Which doesn't mean current Link's can't be good mouthpieces, but as you know most comes from the player and not from the gear (but good gear helps)!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well crap!! Now I'm not sure.

Several years ago when I was finding my sweet spot with my alto it took me a few years to find the right setup. I would get a mouthpiece play on it for awhile then find someone to buy it, research and read reviews and find another, play it etc, etc. Living in the sticks sure has its advantages but not when it comes to finding the right mouthpiece. It just takes time I guess, being such a personal preference.

Wish I had a couple thousand bucks to drop on several mouthpieces to try out for a few months and make my pick of the litter.

I really appreciate your comments and input about the Links, it has been helpful.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Online music stores will send you several to try and return. You don't necessarily have to buy all of them. Buy the time your credit card bill comes, all those you "bought" but returned won't be on there anymore. But you do need to make up your mind fairly quickly. It's really not much different than going to the eye doctor - which is better this one or that one? Then narrow it down and make your final decision.

When I was a kid, music stores actually carried mouthpieces. I was able to try literally a dozen different one of the same make while in the store. Took me about half an hour to pick my favorite.

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
well crap!! Now I'm not sure.
Sorry if I caused that (but I also want to give you honest information!).

What could be a good approach is the one given by mdavej (order a few and pick/buy the best one). Finding a real music shop with good stock is even better.

Or buy one second hand here on the forum or elsewhere. If you like it you got what you want, if you don't like it you can sell it again for about the same price.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Online music stores will send you several to try and return. You don't necessarily have to buy all of them. Buy the time your credit card bill comes, all those you "bought" but returned won't be on there anymore.
I don’t know of any store that offers these trials anymore, for many years already. WWBW for example now requires you buy them and they change a restocking fee if you return. Which store are you referring to please?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry if I caused that (but I also want to give you honest information!).
no need to apologize 😆, it is my own pickiness that is the cause of my frustration.

I have passed on the Links for now, simply because I dont have the time to sift through several, trying to find a good one and I am also unfamiliar with metal mouthpieces.

I just ordered a 10mfan The Classic in Ultem. This piece sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Wish me luck.

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
I just ordered a 10mfan The Classic in Ultem. This piece sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Wish me luck.
Good choice!

Mark's mouthpiece are finished with a very high quality, so I'm sure it will play very well out of the box (sound wise it will probably be a bit cleaner and more focused than a Link).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don’t know of any store that offers these trials anymore, for many years already. WWBW for example now requires you buy them and they change a restocking fee if you return. Which store are you referring to please?
Yeah, WWBW is what I was thinking. It's been a while since I did it. Looks like restocking/cleaning is now $5-$15 depending on the price of the MP. Still beats buying outright and trying to resell as the OP suggested.

Glad to hear the OP settled on something other than a Link.

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Or buy one second hand here on the forum or elsewhere. If you like it you got what you want, if you don't like it you can sell it again for about the same price.
I have passed on the Links for now, simply because I dont have the time to sift through several, trying to find a good one and I am also unfamiliar with metal mouthpieces.
I meant something like this:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?362222-Otto-Link-Super-Tonemaster-Sakshama-reface

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had the Otto Link FL since April when it was first available; I've also had the 10mfan Ultem Robusto for a few weeks. Both are great mouthpieces and I'm happy with both. I'm sure the Classic is a great piece too.

The Otto Link mouthpiece has a more focused sound for me with excellent projection and volume. I think it's the closest I've gotten a Coltrane tenor tone. The Robusto has a more spread in its sound and body in its tone that surprisingly projects very well. I think both pieces certainly have a role for any tenor player.

I really like the look of Ultem, though I don't know if there is any sonic difference between it hard rubber in a mouthpiece of the same specifications. I also liked that it was less expensive than a hard rubber mouthpiece of similar design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts