Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does playing a reed on mouthpiece change the characteristic of the reed?

I mean does the reed take the characteristic of the mouthpiece such that when you use the reed on another mouthpiece, it still feel like playing the first mouthpiece.

If so, if you have a good mouthpiece, can you use the good mouthpiece to condition the reed? Such that, the second mouthpiece that you play will have some of the first mouthpiece?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Does playing a reed on mouthpiece change the characteristic of the reed?
Yes, a reed may form to a particular mouthpiece.

I mean does the reed take the characteristic of the mouthpiece such that when you use the reed on another mouthpiece, it still feel like playing the first mouthpiece.
No, if the reed has formed to a particular mouthpiece, it may not play as well on another.

If so, if you have a good mouthpiece, can you use the good mouthpiece to condition the reed? Such that, the second mouthpiece that you play will have some of the first mouthpiece?
I've never heard of this happening.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
I agree with the above

Typically, a reed might take on a very slight bend, more so with a wider tip.

What this means is a reed that has been on a small tip (or longer facing curve) will get a smaller bend, and so should be reasonably OK if you then use it on a piece with a larger tip and/or shorter curve.

But the other way round is likely to be not good, ie if the reed was on a mouthpiece with larger tip and so got a bigger bend, it would not work so well on a smaller tip.

This is a bit of a generalisation so don't take it as dogma.

And of course storing a reed secured on a flat surface should help to make any bend straighten up a bit. However if you take the reed on and off a lot and flatten out, this could (theoretically) weaken the reed due to the constant bending and straightening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts