Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, so if this has been discussed, please forgive me for missing any previous threads that may have described the right signal chain.

I'd like to know if people are using condenser mics with effects, specifically guitar effects pedals. If so, how do you route phantom power to the mic and get the signal back to the board through the effects?

I can imagine a couple scenarios:
1: mic > phantom power supply > XLR to 1/4" Hi-Z transformer > effects chain > DI > soundboard.

or (slight variation)

2: mic > preamp with phantom power > line level out through effects > DI > soundboard.

or (skip the outboard DI)

3: mic > preamp with phantom power and effects loop (channel insert) > effects loop out through effects > back to effects loop in > XLR to soundboard.

Number three is what I'd like to do, if only because it saves me from buying a DI box. Two preamps I've found that have effects loops are the Really Nice Preamp by FMR Audio (about $425) and the Samson C-Valve (about $89). The Samson is within my price range. Does anyone have comments on either of these products or information about similar items?

I'm leaning toward pedals rather than a digital multi-effects processor. Maybe it's just because I'm familiar with boxes. However, if the money is available and the sounds are right I could be persuaded to look at a DigiTech GNX4. I saw a couple posts about the DigiTech Vx400, which offers phantom power, but there are some effects that it doesn't offer (namely a rotary simulator). The GNX4 has rotary, wah, and a few others that could be fun to experiment with. Any users?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
3 is the best way.

I would spend a bit more and get a small mixer, rather than a standalone preamp, like the Mackie 1202.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thought crossed my mind. A small mixer with USB could be fun. I had decided against it for stage use, but it shouldn't be ruled out completely since it could serve double duty at gigs and at home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts