Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a band director and sax player. I've dabbled in some repair (beyond just the general maintenance and light repair work demanded by my job). I've disassembled, delacquered, and reassembled a YAS-23, replaced pads, etc.

I'm wanting to learn more about repair. I've watched a couple of great YouTube videos that have helped me learn *some*.

So, I bought a Concertone alto (s/n: 185905). Rolled tone holes and similar design elements lead me to believe it's a Martin stencil. It needs a repad, so I'm going to use it as my experiment horn. :)

I'm planning to order pads through Music Medic, and my first question is: do I measure every pad cup to ensure I get the right sizes, or is there an Martin horn that I could use as a basis to order a premade set?

Second question: Are there any resources, tips, people in or around the Southwest Arkansas/Southeast Oklahoma/Northeast Texas/Northwest Louisiana area that the ever-wise forum could direct me to before I set out on this grand adventure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am an amature at sax repair, but I have done quite a few repads. If you have the means, you should measure each pad cup. I have bought pad sets from MM before without measuring, and there are always two or three pads that don't fit. Their Pad-Set policy is pretty good as far as replacing the pads that don't fit - you can even keep the miss sized pads, they just send you new ones. But, if you want to waste a lot of time going back and forth with e-mails and then wait for replacement pads in the mail.........

I'll just say, I have never miss measured my own pad cups.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts