Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the concerto competition at my school, I was going to do the Von Koch... the problem is our strings are quite weak and since this is with string orchestra, it's probably not the best choice... Does anyone have any recommendation for a concerto with full orchestra? No Ibert, though... that was played last year, so we're not allowed to audition on it again.

·
Registered
471 Posts
no piece comes to mind that has an EASY string part really.

Although I really like Dubois Concerto, Lars-Erik Larsson Concerto, Glazunov is nice :), Creston Concerto perhaps, Tomasi Concerto is awesome too, Feld Concerto is insane, or Cyber-Bird Concerto (Good luck with that one!!)

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlueLight said:
no piece comes to mind that has an EASY string part really.

Although I really like Dubois Concerto, Lars-Erik Larsson Concerto, Glazunov is nice :), Creston Concerto perhaps, Tomasi Concerto is awesome too, Feld Concerto is insane, or Cyber-Bird Concerto (Good luck with that one!!)
Thanks for the suggestions. We talked about some of those, but we're looking around for other options first.

Just to clarify, I'm not really looking for a piece that has an easy string part, per se, but one that has a strong wind part so there isn't so much stress worrying over the strings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what about something like Paul Maurice's Tableaux de Provence? Or Divertimento by Roger Boutry?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Can you just do a piece with winds only? Everyone knows the piece I'm thinking of...:twisted:

Anyway, I think the best thing to do would be to get a few orchestral reductions from the library and take them to the orchestra director. Ask which one he/she thinks would be appropriate.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Villa-Lobos if you play soprano or tenor would be nice. Muczynski Concerto is a nice piece also, but the orchestra part is on the demanding side.

Or, as J.Max nonchalantly suggested, try the Dahl and challenge the heck out of your orchestra's wind section (and yourself).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'll second the Maurice Tableaux de Provence. For orchestra but with straight-ahead string parts and a LOT of wind work. Have you heard this done with orchestra? Some great orchestration (beautiful colors) that are totally lost when performed only with piano accompaniment.

I don't recall, and I'm not about to interrupt my listening at this moment, but is there a harp in the Maurice orchestration? That might be an issue at many smaller music programs.

Angel

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, the tableaux was also done last year, so it was ruled out as well.

I recently listened to Where the Bee Dances for soprano and orchestra. Does anyone know much about this piece (Is there a piano reduction available)? Is it (the solo part, the score, or the orchestra parts) readily available from a publisher? I know the saxophone part isn't really difficult, but at this point, we've had two saxophones win this competition in a row, and we're looking for any advantages to making this year be a third one.

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
Maros Festigiamento No. 2!!!!

Oh wait wrong thread...... :)

How about Scaramouche? It can actually be quite enjoyable from the audience perspective. Also cool whip and percussion effects throughout!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
bezozzi said:
Unfortunately, the tableaux was also done last year, so it was ruled out as well.
:eek:

bezozzi said:
I recently listened to Where the Bee Dances for soprano and orchestra. Does anyone know much about this piece (Is there a piano reduction available)? Is it (the solo part, the score, or the orchestra parts) readily available from a publisher? I know the saxophone part isn't really difficult, but at this point, we've had two saxophones win this competition in a row, and we're looking for any advantages to making this year be a third one.
Very fun piece! I got my score and solo part from Musicroom.com. There's no piano reduction, but Nyman's "Shaping the Curve" is kind of a miniaturized version of Where the Bee Dances.

Swiss saxophonist Laurent Estoppey recorded Shaping the Curve on his CD "Nouvelle Musique". http://www.musicians.ch/laurentestoppey/index.html

Angel

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rueff Concertino is pretty cool too, no altissimo though haha

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dannel said:
Maros Festigiamento No. 2!!!!
My best to your Uncle Miklos....

Dannel said:
Also cool whip and percussion effects throughout!
When I saw Gary Louie do the Milhaud with orchestra, I did not notice any Cool Whip involved. I'm assuming this would have been somewhere in the 2nd mvmt with some nice strawberries?

Angel

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you're interested in performing with winds, the Dahl is the best concerto we have in that regard. However, the Husa Concerto is also a good one, as well as the Erickson Concerto, Benson Concertino. If you're interested in performing a duo concerto, I recommend the von Koch Concerto Piccolo for soprano and alto with winds. There is also the William Latham Concerto Grosso for the same instrumentation. I performed the Concerto Piccolo last year at USM. A great experience, in my opinion.

That said, if you're still interested in orchestral works, how about the Martin Ballade (a little demanding on everyone's part) or the Brant Concerto (same comment applies here)?

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about the Bozza Concertino or the Claremont Concerto? There's also the Idlewood Concerto and I think the Jephthah duo has an orchestral arrangement (very minor though). Some pretty big altissimo stuff with the Idlewood and Jephthah though.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Berio - Chemins IVb

This one goes together pretty smoothly. HA!

Jephthah is a great piece deserving more play, absolutely. Dubois is good, but it is demanding on the strings. Larsson is also an excellent piece; I love it!! Still, it can be a challenge for the strings.

Miklos- Saxophone Concerto ?? :)

Everyone else has had excellent suggestions!

Steve P

1 - 20 of 23 Posts