Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi for my lessons my teacher told me he wants me to get a hold of William Graves dissertation for the Jacques Ibert's Concertino da Camera. I've looked everywhere and the closest thing I can find is one on Branford Marsalis's Approach to the Cadenza by Matthew James... I was wondering if anyone has a copy of William Grave's dissertation and could email me a copy or knows of somewhere where I can download it myself.

THanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
time was you would request copies through the univeristy of MI. It probably is not online, i would try locating it through inter-library loan at an academic library or you probably will have to purchase a copy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,932 Posts
Have you tried your friend Google?

That seems to have been published in the Saxophone Symposium annual journal in 1999 (Vol 24).

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
I just found it on proquest.

http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/disexpress.shtml (you may be able to just go straight here: http://disexpress.umi.com/dxweb )

Search for Author: William Graves

You can get a PDF copy for $37.

I did this with a research paper I had to do this past semester. All of my sources were diss. or articles, so I just had to buy the diss. from proquest. It's very quick and reliable. You'll generally get the PDFs anywhere from 2-20 minutes after purchasing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bezozzi Do you happen to have that file of it still? If so could you message me and send it to me please?

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Even if bezozzi had bought the pdf, I suspect that sending protected copyrighted material to you would not be something that he would be likely to do. Sounds like it's worth your buying it yourself from proquest.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi for my lessons my teacher told me he wants me to get a hold of William Graves dissertation for the Jacques Ibert's Concertino da Camera. I've looked everywhere and the closest thing I can find is one on Branford Marsalis's Approach to the Cadenza by Matthew James... I was wondering if anyone has a copy of William Grave's dissertation and could email me a copy or knows of somewhere where I can download it myself.

THanks!
Another great source on the Concertino is Daniel Gordon's extensive article in Volume 33 (2009) of the saxophone symposium. This article clears up any questions about the origins of the work and the differences between the versions. I found it very eye opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Even if bezozzi had bought the pdf, I suspect that sending protected copyrighted material to you would not be something that he would be likely to do. Sounds like it's worth your buying it yourself from proquest.
Very true! I should have been less vague. It's also worth noting that dissertations on such concise topics such as this are worth reading because you never know what you might learn outside of what you're looking for! The bibliography for something like this could possibly be one of the most valuable resources you could have.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another great source on the Concertino is Daniel Gordon's extensive article in Volume 33 (2009) of the saxophone symposium. This article clears up any questions about the origins of the work and the differences between the versions. I found it very eye opening.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "Saxophone Symposium" exactly?
Is it related mostly to classical saxophone and how can we order or consult those articles?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "Saxophone Symposium" exactly?
Is it related mostly to classical saxophone and how can we order or consult those articles?

Thank you.
The Saxophone Symposium is the annual, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal of the North American Saxophone Alliance.
I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to join NASA, but even if you don't, you can obtain back issues here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts