Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stencil here that I haven't been able to find anywhere. I purchased it from Wichita Band about 4-5 years ago. Here's their description:

"J. Keilwerth SX-90 baritone saxophone #65860, made in Germany about 1975. This one’s engraved with Keilwerth’s “Con Brio” stamp. The original dark lacquer is worn about 40%, has been cleaned and lightly over-sprayed with Nikolas 2105 lacquer to protect the worn areas. Dents and dings have been burnished out in our shop in Wichita and all pads + corks are new. Today, this is Keilwerth’s best baritone sax, now with a suggested retail price of $10,471. This particular instrument was built in the late 1960’s, when the D-Mark was low in value and Keilwerth was making saxes under two dozen different names. Range is to low A on this one. Keilwerth still makes a superb baritone sax, but we don’t see many new instruments due to the high cost. This one’s $1995 with original finish and over-spray to protect the worn areas or it’s $2295 fully relacquered and made to look “like new”."

I stuck with the original lacquer, of course, and played the sucker in my college jazz band for about a year, when I found a great deal on a Mark VI, so I began to look into selling my Conbrio. I couldn't find a darn thing about it except for a troubling post on this very forum:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?49283-Mis-represented-SX90-Bari

I thought I'd been had because of the SX90 misrepresentation and the two different years in the description, and decided to hold onto it for awhile. But in doing some research recently I was pleased to find I may have gotten a nice deal. Based on the serial number, I believe I have a Keilwerth Superba I or II. It's got the high F#, and straight tone holes (my understanding is both the I and II baritones had straight holes).

Any other thoughts? Anyone else ever encountered this "CONBRIO" stencil? Are unique stencils worth any more?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Post a pic.... and we can tell you if it's a I.

If it is....it's surprising that you really prefer the VI to it. The I is arguably the best production Low-A ever made....

The II's fell off considerably...or so the reputation holds....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Does Con Brio mean it can't be played quietly? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, it's a struggle. Mostly, being common a music term, "Con Brio" just makes it really hard to find any specific information on the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
This post got lost a while...if you are still around, the keytouches suggest it's a JK horn but whether a Superba I stencil or not is still indeterminate baed on your pics. A better shot of the opposite side and the upper bow/crook would help.

Am not sure JK called their models SX-90's back in '75, either....so I am not sure about Wichita's info....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts