Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on this piece and well I came across this problem. I am writing for the lower instruments, and I have this problem all the time when it comes to clarinets. I am like 4-5 ledger lines down below the staff and I want to put a dynamic change there, but I dont want the dynamic marking too far down on the page and well I dont know where to put it and it would look right. I have the same problem when it comes to writing really high above the staff like when writing for flute. I feel like all the dynamic markings should be at the same level, not ones higher than o
thers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,599 Posts
Write it up an octave and put 8 vb above the staff. That should leave room for dynamics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,555 Posts
8va indicates up an octave of course, and 8vb means play down an octave. As a flute player when I was a kid, I never saw an 8vb.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Write in 8vab and play it as written....... 🤪

I once came across the following in a chart "8va ⬇". I was confused then amused.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Although 8va is often taken to mean an octave up, it is an abbr. for ottava which just means octave in Italian.

It is used written above the staff to mean an octave up.

if 8va is below the staff it means an octave lower

I believe I have seen 8va with an up or down arrow and in many ways can be more obvious than the commonly used 8va and 8vb

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Although 8va is often taken to mean an octave up, it is an abbr. for ottava which just means octave in Italian.

if 8va is below the staff it means an octave lower

I believe I have seen 8va with an up or down arrow and in many ways can be more obvious than the commonly used 8va and 8vb
8vb = Ottava Bassa = Octave Below.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
You also get 15ma or 15mb for two octaves, though I have seen 15va - obvious what it means but technically wrong. 16va is even wronger as you count from the note 1 + 7 + 7
As an electrical engineer, this makes a lot more sense. If I see 15ma (15 milli-Amps ), I know exactly what to do. Just calculate the resistance required for the amount of apparent power I want to output given the voltage of the piece.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You also get 15ma or 15mb for two octaves, though I have seen 15va - obvious what it means but technically wrong. 16va is even wronger as you count from and including the note:

1 + 7 = 8va
1 + 7 + 7 = 15ma
If this shows up in the percussion chart:

8v
\displaystyle a^2+b^2=c^2

then the triangle player better darn well play rightly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts